Applying for Belgium WP. Not much help from employer on process.

Dear expats,

I am applying for a Belgium WP and I am the first expat employee from non EU for the company. So hey don't have a lot of information about process I have to follow in India. Rather they will be taking care of the process to be carried out in Belgium. So I have below queries if you could help on:

1. Does medical certificate needs legalization if issued by authorized doctor by Belgian embassy?

2.  Does PCC is needs legalization? I have also stayed in Italy for 4 months within last one year for my existing employer, do I need to submit PCC from Italy as well? If yes, anybody knows process?

3. I have apostille marriage certificate and  child's birth certificate, Do I need mine and wife's birth certificate also to be apostilled?

4. The certificates already apostille are done 9 months back and are original. Is it valid? or I need to reissue duplicates and get apostille again?

5. My Belgian employer is applying for WP and asked for only my documents, but not dependents. Is there a separate family  approval required when I am applying along with family or/Can I directly apply for their visa along with me based on my WP?

6. List of documents that need apostille and List of documents that need legalization would be appreciated.

I know many of these  questions may be already answered, but as  I am new to expat. Providing links would be a great help.

Thanks.

First of all, the process is in 2 stages (WP application and visa application). Your employer gets you the WP (from the labour ministry here) and based on that WP, you apply a visa (for you and your dependents) with the Belgian consulate in your country.

Your employer will ask your documents in order to apply for WP. Once you get WP, they will send it across to you in hard copy. You will use the WP for visa process + other documents that are required.

1. Medical certificate for WP application - when I applied, it had to be legalized. But it was years ago. If your employer is not sure, it is good to get it legalized to be on the safer side.

2.  PCC is needed for Visa application, not for WP I believe. PCC must be apostilled. For a short stay in Italy, I dont think you need a PCC from there. You may double check with VFS.

3. Yes, your kid's  and wife's birth certificate must be apostilled and is needed for visa application. Yours may be needed for your registration once you arrive in Belgium. And yes, that must be apostilled.

4. They are not valid if older than 6 months. So yes, you must get new copies issued and apostilled.

5. You can directly apply for their visa along with you based on your WP.

6. You can check VFS website or talk to them. You apply the visa through VFS. They are the application handlers on behalf of the consulate.

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Belgium/India/

Existing threads on this and similar topics with helpful info: https://www.expat.com/forum/256-3-visas-belgium.html

Hi,

I did recently so can comment based on my experience, if they are of any help. Point to note, my process was executed from Belgian Embassy in Dublin

1. Does medical certificate needs legalization if issued by authorized doctor by Belgian embassy?
[Sanjay] - Was not needed for us (me and my wife).

2.  Does PCC is needs legalization? I have also stayed in Italy for 4 months within last one year for my existing employer, do I need to submit PCC from Italy as well? If yes, anybody knows process?
[Sanjay] - PCC from Ireland. Did not need legalization
PCC needed from all countries you have stayed in last 1 year. You can check the Embassy of Italy in India, if they issue it. The Indian Embassy in different countries does that.

3. I have apostille marriage certificate and  child's birth certificate, Do I need mine and wife's birth certificate also to be apostilled?
[Sanjay] - One of my friends applied for his wife's long stay visa in last month, and had to get her Birth Certificate apostilled. Based on that, I would say, Yes.

4. The certificates already apostille are done 9 months back and are original. Is it valid? or I need to reissue duplicates and get apostille again?
[Sanjay] - Our marriage certificate was apostilled 2 years back, and that was considered valid. Apostille, I guess, don't have validity period, i.e. once done, should be valid for ever.

5. My Belgian employer is applying for WP and asked for only my documents, but not dependents. Is there a separate family  approval required when I am applying along with family or/Can I directly apply for their visa along with me based on my WP?
[Sanjay] - You can apply for the Visa along with you directly. I was told by the Belgian Embassy, that for a couple to get approved, the annual salary should be greater than 39600 Euro. Not sure, if that's different if you have a child.

6. List of documents that need apostille and List of documents that need legalization would be appreciated.
[Sanjay] - Marriage Certificate Apostille. Birth Certificate of Dependents - Legalized.

P.S. - The above information is purely based on my experience. I applied for my visa on 18th July and got it on 19th July. Would suggest you to cross-check with folks.

Thanks,
Sanjay

Hello,

1) no

2) don't know what it is

3) for WP processing you need child's and wife's birth certificates (you will also need your berth certificate to register at commune as a family), I would recommend translate it in Dutch

4) not sure, but I have never heard about apostle expiration. apostle is not only a stamp on a paper, but also a record in international database.

5) that's ok, once you got WP, then you need apply for visa in embassy. At this steep you will need all dependent's documents.

6)
WP:
- diploma (english translation is fine)
- contract (english/dutch translation is fine)
- international passport copy
not sure but probably that's is from your side. All the rest should be prepared by employer.

Once WP on your name issued you have to apply for visa in Embassy. Then:
- dependent's birth certificates with apostille
- criminal record extracts for your and wife with apostille
- marriage certificate with apostille
- medical certificates (yours and depends) as is
- signed contract
- issued work permit

Thanks Aneesh for a quick response. I will surely go through the other threads. I received mail from employer that the medical certificate needs legalization if not issued by authorized doctor. I will check again with consulate though.

Thanks Sanjay. That was very helpful. I just read on internet that documents in English language need only apostille for Belgium application. Anyways, will cross check with VFS/ Consulate.

Thanks for the concise  response. If you have done the process recently then the list  looks pretty manageable in less time.

Just to clarify No.4, it's valid up to 6 months. This is the same across all EU countries.

Hi,

I have a query wrt to translation of Birth Certificate. My spouse original Birth Certificate (BC) is issued in a regional language. Is it mandatory to get the BC translated to French or Dutch or is English translation accepted . Any help here would be highly appreciated. Merci !

If the original is in English then it is accepted. If not, it needs translation to Dutch or French and get legalized from Belgian Consulate.