I want to relocate to Thailand

Hello everyone

My name is Tazlyn  :)

My husband and I are looking to move to Thailand, but I have no information yet.  I am teaching english online and hopefully I can find a job in Thailand for us to live comfortably there.

Is it better to look for work online or go to Thailand and look for work there?

Thank you

Best find a job first as you will have go apply for a work visa , teaching salarys are not great , and im not sure what visa your husband requires.

He would probably also have to go on a work visa.  I am already teaching english online but i heard from someone that that is a grey area... is it work? is it not work?
Do you know the best places to look? the jobs on here are quite old

Dont get a job in advance. Only suckers do that - pay is lower. If you are unqualified teachers (that means a TEFL cert plus a degree ) you will earn very little. 13 years ago I worked for a year in Thailand on 42,000 baht a month (my partner earnt 46,000 baht she had a non western teaching cert). Now salaries are LESS than that despite 13 years of inflation.

You can earn online still to supplement work income and get a job with a work permit but if you are expecting a cheap paradise in Thalland think again. Cough splutter I must say if you are white.....if not jobs are almost impossible to get.

A couple really need 3,000 usd pm in Bangkok or 2500 usd pm in Chiang Mai to live properly - including medical insurance , annual flights home, visa run costs etc. Do note Thailand is no 1 in death rates for tourists and foreigners. Higher than South Africa! Often due to motorbikes. Many daft blogs say you can live for 500 usd etc. These are all nonsense. Bangkok has the best pay and most jobs but is a dirty dump after the tourist excitement wears off. You get the Bangkok flu - a perm cold due to pollution. Outside of Bangkok is nicer but salaries 30 to 35k baht. But cheaper to live in. But boring to live in long term. I also did that for a year.

Teaching TEFL in Thailand is really is demoralising after a while. You are just a performing monkey - either baby sitting kids (Kindergarten pays best - young women preferred) or an adult entertainment for bored Thai accountants etc who will never speak English even after a million lessons.

Btw best you are under 45. Over 45 years old jobs get far harder to get. Thais like their entertainers young.

Tazlyn wrote:

He would probably also have to go on a work visa.  I am already teaching english online but i heard from someone that that is a grey area... is it work? is it not work?
Do you know the best places to look? the jobs on here are quite old

Hi Tazlyn,
You can click on JOBS tab at top of page to see what jobs may be available. As for looking online versus coming to Thailand in person, I would think looking online would be the best option. Keep in mind, that you can only come in for 30 days visa-free then you have to leave the country or request an extension if you haven't found employment and applied for a work visa. You can also try employment agencies.
Kindly...

Thank you for the replies.

We have decided to go to Thailand on the tourist visa first and then change it to either work there or study there.

But now we do not know if it is true that we can do this in Malaysia? The visa change

Tazlyn wrote:

I am already teaching english online but i heard

it is wise to keep it zipped :cheers:

Hi Janw

Yes I have stopped because of the move