Fees for a EU spouse visa

Hello! I am American and my husband is British. We're hoping to relocate to the Netherlands shortly. I previously lived there for three years and he's spent a lot of time there, too.

He is planning to take me in as his spouse and we're speaking with a lawyer about getting assistance with the process.

Do you know what kind of fees the Dutch government will charge? I know I get an initial mini-visa (so to speak) from the IND, and then wait about 6 months for a proper residence permit. I'd love to know what the fees are for this, but I'm not having much luck looking online.

Any idea? Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

First off; at the top of this page is a link to our Handy Tools section, within which are our Expat Guides; these contain articles written to help you plan your journey.  Your husband as an EU citizen currently has the right to live and work anywhere in the EU; however, you need to consider the possible implication of Brexit on UK citizens where nothing has been formally agreed yet.  Although (IMO) unlikely, you do have to consider that situation of what you would do if the UK leaves the EU without any immigration agreement because your visa would be dependant on being the spouse of an EU citizen.

I'm going to answer both your specific questions in one post.

northernsoul wrote:

Hi! One more question...  :)

I am a US citizen hoping to move to NL with my British husband.

We're planning on going to the IND to get my first visa and then doing the proper application for a residence permit, which I've been told takes about six months.

When we go to the IND for that first visa, do we need to have a proper NL home already? Or can we get the visa and then go about finding one?

Thanks!

The process is described on the IND website; this link will take you straight there; the whole process is described at the bottom of that page.  To answer your question, no, you don't need a "proper" NL home; many people register from temporary accommodation (I've heard of people doing it from hotels, AirBnB etc); the important thing is to check that the landlord will allow you to register from that address before you sign any contract; some like to hide their activity from the Dutch taxman and don't allow it.

northernsoul wrote:

Hello! I am American and my husband is British. We're hoping to relocate to the Netherlands shortly. I previously lived there for three years and he's spent a lot of time there, too.

He is planning to take me in as his spouse and we're speaking with a lawyer about getting assistance with the process.

Do you know what kind of fees the Dutch government will charge? I know I get an initial mini-visa (so to speak) from the IND, and then wait about 6 months for a proper residence permit. I'd love to know what the fees are for this, but I'm not having much luck looking online.

Any idea? Thank you!

Unless you have a complicated issue, you don't need to use a lawyer (although of course, you can if you wish, it's your money).  According to the link I gave you above, the cost is 51 euro (which sounds a bit cheap to me tbh).

To contact the IND, they have contact information displayed on their website; this link will take you there.  The IND also have a Twitter feed where you can ask questions; this link will take you there.

Once you have read our guides and checked out the links we've provided, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you so much for the info!