Visa runs but have relatives in Malaysia

Hi,

I'm wondering what the situation is for doing visa runs for foreigners who have relatives residing in Malaysia.

Visa runs can be tricky these days. It is possible to extend stay for a short time by going to immigration e.g. 90 day entry may get extra 30 days and then 15 days with good reason for remaining. After that would be harder to return for a while. So it depends how long you need to visit. Having relatives is not a valid reason for any special privileges unless they hold a Permanent Residency. Probably two entries with break of 7-10 days between would work but after that anything can happen. It's difficult to predict as it's at the discretion of the immigration officer. If that person gets the impression you are attempting to live in the country without a proper permit they can even give  DNL (do not land). Apparently KLIA 1 is better entry terminal as KLIA  2 is lowcost airlines so they check more closely.

Thanks for the info. My relatives do have permanent residency in Malaysia so I'm wondering does that increase the chances of getting a 90 days short term visa.

Your profile says you are Irish and therefore would get a 90 day visa-free tourist (social visit) entry anyway.

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … tml?id=284 This explains family connections in Malaysia. You can see if you fall under any category.

Not sure if you understand the PR concept from what you write, but without knowing more about your family's connection to Malaysia its hard to comment.

My parents were born in Malaysia but moved abroad for work however they still hold they're Malaysian citizenship.

I do have ties to Malaysia as my relatives on my parent's sidd do reside in Malaysia.

OK I updated my post above and provided a link to the Residence Pass info

Thanks for your assistance.

Best to contact the Malaysian embassy in Dublin for guidance.