Insurance for a car you don't own

We have been living here since April without a car and it's making us crazy.  We have a car that we could use if we could get it insured.  We've been told we can't insure it because it is not in our name.  Anyone have any input as to if it is possible to insure a car that is owned by someone else?

As far as I know you need the owner. Do you have the vehicle matricula?  If so I will ask for you.

Unless there has been a major shift in policy, all you need is the registration & buy the insurance in your name. PM me for info & ins, contacts. I have "owned" more than a dozen vehicles, suvs', cars & motorcycles with the titles not in my name. You are insuring you & the minimum required for liability. Collision is extra. If you can ship a car here & have someone take care of ALL the paper work including insurance, there should be no problem.

Tinker there have been many changes!

Hang tight I am confirming what you can do.

By the way, are you here on a tourist card? If so, your driver's license is invalid as soon as you overstay your tourist visa.

Yes, you need a DR license. I had mine & my cedula. Thanks for reminding me.

I wasn't actually reminding you Tinker, I know you can't drive.  That was directed at the OP

Thank you both.  I just went back to the states and came back so I'm on a valid tourist visa right now but my husbands is expired so I guess he can't get insurance.  But we can rent a car so what is the difference?  The car we want to insure is owned by someone else and they have insurance but we were told it is not valid for us as drivers.  Is there a place that explains all the laws and ins & outs of insurance.  IE, if you've overstayed your tourist visa and you drive a rental car is insurance valid?  Etc.

Bottom line if your tourist visa is valid your license is valid thus any insurance is valid.

If you are driving illegally, license invalid, drunk or any other reason then insurance will not cover you.

Many here take the risk all the time. The issue is not traffic stops etc.  The issue and risk is an accident.

The option is yours.

I  have confirmed that you will have a tough time insuring a vehicle that is not yours and is not in your name.  No one should insure it for you,  some might but if it comes to a claim all of a sudden you will not be covered.