Is CBD oil legal in Costa Rica

We are moving to CR and hoping CBD oil and all its benefits is legal in CR and legal to import

Yes, it is legal, this LINK will give you all the information you need.

Sorry, but I don't  agree that this is now, legal to be imported.

kohlerias wrote:

True, more research is needed to see if you can import it. But it is legal in the country therefore just buy it there and no need to import it.

Ah...but it isn't 'legal' in the country at this time.

And you can't import any medications.

kohlerias wrote:

Ah...but it isn't 'legal' in the country at this time.

And you can't import any medications.

A simple google search says it is on every link that shows up.

The following list is a list of countries that we know does allow CBD Oil from Hemp:

United States
Argentina
Austria
Belgium
Belize
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
England
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Guam
Guatemala
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Netherlands Antilles
Northern Ireland
Norway
Paraguay
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Romania
Russia
Scotland
Slovak Republic
Slovenia
South Africa
Sweden
Switzerland
U.S. Virgin Islands
United Kingdom
Uruguay
Wales.

If you have Facebook its worth reading this > https://www.facebook.com/CBDCostaRica/p … 0354888588

Read the info here. Regular Forum readers know  that importing many items, can be very difficult.

There is a 'study' presently taking place here, but it only has a very low number of participants.

Medical cannabis oil is also legal in the Cayman Islands (the British colony in the Caribbean), but available only on a doctor's prescription. It has to be imported under special licence by specified distributors. The same kind of rule probably applies in other countries. I've never heard of it being legal for travellers bringing the oil in, anywhere.

The missing link here is... this is Costa Rica. 

Kohlerias is right, importing anything into the country, especially now, can have many hoops, dips and questions.  Abut a year ago, customs was informed that they will enforce the laws on importation so that all taxes got collected.  The law may state one thing but that does not mean that customs has any idea what the law means, how to enforce it or who is in charge of enforcing it.  And, if some person in customs decides that you're importing a "drug," you do NOT want to spend one minute in a CR jail.  I've only seen the pictures, (really   :cool: ), and that was enough to deter me from crossing any lines legally... or illegally?

- Expat Dave

Not sure if it's legal or not ; all I know is a friend of mine has imported it 3 times in the past 6 months, picked it up at the local post office and had no issues nor fees.
Could be she's flying under the radar.
Personally I would not risk importing it.

SimCityAT wrote:
kohlerias wrote:

True, more research is needed to see if you can import it. But it is legal in the country therefore just buy it there and no need to import it.

I've asked around and not found it anywhere in Costa Rica. Do you know where it can be bought?
By the way, let's be clear: I am talking about pure cbd oil that has no thc in it. This IS now legal in every state in the USA even though marijuana may be illegal in that state.

There is high cbd oil WITH thc and there is high cbd oil without thc. The former is illegal in many states and probably illegal in Costa Rica.
The latter is legal in all u.s. states and may be legal here in Costa Rica, not sure.

samramon wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
kohlerias wrote:

I've asked around and not found it anywhere in Costa Rica. Do you know where it can be bought?
By the way, let's be clear: I am talking about pure cbd oil that has no thc in it. This IS now legal in every state in the USA even though marijuana may be illegal in that state.

There is high cbd oil WITH thc and there is high cbd oil without thc. The former is illegal in many states and probably illegal in Costa Rica.
The latter is legal in all u.s. states and may be legal here in Costa Rica, not sure.

I gave up trying to explain, its NOT Medical cannabis, even with facts.

Rocketman58, have you inquired whether or not your wife's other Rx's are available?  While it could take a year or more to gain legal residency, understand that neither of you will be covered by CAJA, the socialized healthcare system, until you have your cedula in hand, and most private insurers do not cover 'pre-existing conditions. Generic meds. are often substituted by CAJA, however they may be able to be purchased 'over the counter' in a local pharmacy at your own expense, if available.

SimCityAT's google search undoubtedly turned up dozens of links saying it is legal, but of course all those sites *sell*  CBD so naturally they have no liability in selling it to  you and they are hardly likely to know all the details of shipping things for every country.

So, I checked with a more reliable source, i.e. my doctor who was also our canton's most recent legislator to the federal congress. Good news, yes, it is legal and it can be shipped. I would see if Amazon will ship it as they are shipping more and more things here. If they do, they will take care of the customs declarations, sales tax and any duty due, if any.

One word of caution, however, order in small quantities, say no more than 2 bottles. If something does get caught up in Customs, they tend to label you as a business if there is a larger quantity of items and getting it through Customs at that point is a whole lot more trouble and expense. Going the Amazon route avoids that.

Once in the country, use Amazon or one of the third-party shippers like AeroCasillas or have a friend mule it in or simply buy it here. With all methods, expect to pay about double what you'd pay in the States.

More drugs are available at private farmacias than at Caja anyway. And, much of Caja's medicines are of dubious quality. They won't give you a choice of brands. Even when you have residency, you will need an appointment with a Caja doctor to authorize a prescription to their pharmacy. Depending on the condition, phase of the moon, etc. such an appointment can be a year or more forward (I have one coming up in Feb that I made in Jan of this year).

So, don't think that Caja is going to help you out much unless you have an urgent (i.e. life threatening) need. Great emergency care in our our city, but for everything else you will have to jump through a lot of hoops and wait, wait, wait.

Fortunately, private care is good and plentiful and there are even some new models popping up, such as the new CoopeAgri medical clinic in our town of which you can pay a small membership fee and basically get half off of doctor/dental visits. A rule of thumb is retail cost for private care is 1/3rd that in the States (uninsured).

All those links are to sites selling CBD, so I didn't take their word for it. Instead, asked my doctor who is also my former legislator. It is legal, can be shipped here.

I just researched this last month while in WI. Although it's legal in WI and legal in CR, TSA will not allow it on flights. If you're caught with it by the TSA you could be subject to criminal charges. I don't know about having it shipped. I will try to find some in CR because I have heard of places selling it. The one I found is way too far for me to go to.

This  is taken from the Amazon website

" About Customs, Duties & Taxes

When ordering from Amazon.com, you're responsible for assuring the product can be lawfully imported to the destination.
The recipient is the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the destination. Orders shipped outside of the United States may be subject to import taxes, customs duties and fees levied by the destination country. The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to such import taxes, customs duties and fees, which are levied once a shipment reaches the recipient's country. Additional charges for customs clearance must be fulfilled by the recipient; Amazon has no control over these charges, nor can Amazon predict what they may be.

Customs policies vary widely; you should contact your local customs office for more information. When customs clearance procedures are required, it can cause delays beyond our original delivery estimates.

Note:

Customs offices in some countries or regions require the importer of record to provide a particular form of identification before releasing a shipment. You may be required to provide an identification number such as a Unique Identification Number, CPF, or Tax ID.

Countries / regions that require an identification number include: Brazil, Chile, China, Ecuador, India, Israel, Peru, Qatar, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, and Turkey."

According to the Restricted segment on the Aeropost webpage, meds, supplements etc.  require permits;
"For the processing of drugs, pills, syrups, suppositories, medicated gels and the like, it is required that you provide a prescription, otherwise you will not be able to apply for a permit and claims for such packages will not be accepted."

Suggest again that one reads this info.

I'm well aware that you can buy CBD oil from hemp here in Costa Rica.  Does not carry many of the benefits that you would obtain using CBD oil made from other parts of the cannabis plant.  CBD needs THC to provide whole spectrum efficacy.

Durphym wrote:

I'm well aware that you can buy CBD oil from hemp here in Costa Rica.  Does not carry many of the benefits that you would obtain using CBD oil made from other parts of the cannabis plant.  CBD needs THC to provide whole spectrum efficacy.

You may be right that CBD oil with THC is best but you probably cannot get that here in Costa Rica unless you know someone who makes it (illegally I believe).
I think CBD oil without THC still works pretty well BUT it's expensive.

I personally would not risk flying with any form of hemp or marijuana product "just in case". People obviously do it and do get away with it, even the "real thing" i.e. marijuana itself, hash oil, edibles etc. But unless you need it in an extreme way I would not risk flying with it or importing it here.
Maybe I'm overly careful or "paranoid".

Samramon, I wrote what I did because people need to understand that yes, they can purchase CBD oil from hemp however, the may not get the results they want.  I'm not advocating that anyone do anything illegal nor did I in my post.  If folks want to go the CBD without THC route, I hope it works for you.  Please, always educate yourself so you can make informed decisions.

you can't even import pet medicine as I tried! stuck in aduana. I am sure you won't have trouble bringing it in in a suitcase but importation is another matter.

Funny, I bring on 6 months of my meds, eight of them with no problems.  That's illegal?

Bringing supplements and/or meds and in with you is not usually a problem, however it would be the customs officers decision, but mailing them by regular services or courier, is. They will be confiscated.

Website info regarding restricted shipping

I have had people bring me all kinds of vitamins and herbs and other supplements via their suitcase(s) here, and I've brought them in myself and never had a problem. Like Kohlerias said though, having them mailed or sent here is another story.  AND yes any aduanis agent who does search your suitcase and does want to flag something for taxes or confiscate a drug or vitamin could do so.

I have heard of people getting CBD from hemp in the mail as I said earlier in this thread, but personally I don't want to get anything that *might* be confiscated in the mail - especially if it's more than $20 in value... Plus I don't want some overly diligent aduanis agent to make a case that I am importing marijuana when it's really only hemp oil and has no psychoactive effects... Not worth the aggravation ...

And sometimes I am told things that do get tagged for import taxes end up either in San Jose or Alajuela at some aduanis office where you may have to stand in line for hours to get it, AND pay a tax.
(Anyone with experience with this please post...)

But I abhor going to Alajuela or San Jose so I just don't risk getting things in the mail unless it's of low value.

I did out of desperation once have some allergy spray med sent to me here by correo and I did get it without problem, thank goodness. It was worth $20 but here it costs $70 with no generic available. Now I have had a friend bring me a year supply in his suitcase...

I have heard that now amazon is getting products (not drugs or vitamins necessarily) through to the post offices without import taxes or detainment! Not sure if it's true but a Tico friend told me he knows someone who ordered from Amazon international - various things of some higher value - and they all came here to the post office, and no taxes required on them!

Anyone hear about this? What I heard is amazon has made headway in being able to send stuff here via correo without being detained by aduanis for import taxes. Or maybe this was just a fluke and incorrect info?

[Post under review]

crenvy wrote:

All those links are to sites selling CBD, so I didn't take their word for it. Instead, asked my doctor who is also my former legislator. It is legal, can be shipped here.

Could you ask your doctor to point us to PROOF of that?
I don't doubt you, nor him.
But I would feel more secure bringing it in via mail if I had PROOF that it is indeed legal here.
Is there any online proof of the written law or anything like that?

Like marijuana: I always heard it was "decriminalized" here, but now I hear they are cracking down on it.
I said, "Why don't they crack down on the crack and coke dealers instead?"
And I was told, "Because it's easier to bust the marijuana dealers."

CBD & Hemp Costa Rica sell exclusively through Facebook. They bring the best brands from US. Sealed bottles with lab certificates of purity. I use it for medical reasons I buy CDM md which has been featured in several magazines in the US.

I once bought CBD oil from Nuns of the valley. Paid $99 for the oil, $200 shipping and lost it in ADUANA which is tico customs

How much do you pay for shipping? Which brand did your dr recommended?

There's many people selling CBD in CR, however they told me they re bottle it here, they won'r disclose the brand nor they have available Lab results. Only CBD & Hemp Costa Rica has actual American Brands which I have tried before in California. They can also bring your favorite brand.

The real problem with bringing CBD is the import permits.

laukelly wrote:

There's many people selling CBD in CR, however they told me they re bottle it here, they won'r disclose the brand nor they have available Lab results. Only CBD & Hemp Costa Rica has actual American Brands which I have tried before in California. They can also bring your favorite brand.

I don't like the sound of the unidentified stuff, Laukelly. Who knows what the heck is in it? Here in Cayman, all of ours comes from CanniMed in Canada, imported under licence. Pharmacies bring in 60ml bottles, which lasts 60 days with the standard prescription.

Gordon Barlow wrote:
laukelly wrote:

I don't like the sound of the unidentified stuff, Laukelly. Who knows what the heck is in it? Here in Cayman, all of ours comes from CanniMed in Canada, imported under licence. Pharmacies bring in 60ml bottles, which lasts 60 days with the standard prescription.

How much do you pay for 60ml ?

samramon wrote:

How much do you pay for 60ml ?

About US$240.

Gotta love a country where you can't get CBD oil but every drug store in Jaco sells testosterone and other steroids without a script and will even inject you.....if you don't mind an 18-20 gauge needle ;-) .  But of course you will have to pay $20.00 an ampoule for the mostly underground labs steroids (though they are stamped by CR so evidently CR brokers with UGLs) however a few do sell Bayer.

Hi, we live in the Tamarindo area and all farmers markets around Huacas, Flamingo, Potrero sell CBD oil openly, with and without THC. You just need to look for it as it's often displayed next to the home made pesto, almond butter and fresh walnut bread.

I pay $70 for 30ml certified CBD.

How lucky you are to be in Tamarindo. I live in San Jose. Just out of curiosity, how much do those CBD oils run for? that's crazy it has THC!

CBD doesn't always have THC, or only a microscopic amount  not enough to affect one.
The CBD that is legal here (technically, as far as I know) is without THC or with micro amounts of THC. The same as in the states, CBD from hemp, not marijuana, is legal... BUT still i would not risk bringing it here from the states, personally.