Moving to Bahrain - Some dog questions!

Hi,

My Husband is in the military and recently got orders for Bahrain. I will be going with him. We're looking at villas with a garden since we have two big dogs. A little about our dogs: one is a very well trained  and energetic 2-year old German Shepherd, and the other is a very lazy 8 year old Pit Bull-type mix (also well trained, just a huge couch potato, she's happy with daily walks on leash).  My main concerns are public attitude towards dogs, and finding the space to exercise my hyper GSD.

1. Are dogs allowed on certain beaches/to swim in the water? If so, are they allowed off-leash if well trained and under control?

2. Are dogs allowed to be walked in public areas (on leash), and are there certain areas I should go or avoid?

3. Are there any breeds banned or BSL in place? *Aside from the breeds banned on US military bases.

4. Does anyone know of dogsports such as : IPO, ring-sports, or PSA clubs/trainers/Helpers in Bahrain? Though certainly not essential, it would be nice to continue my GSD's training while overseas. He's been involved in Schutzhund since he was a puppy, and loves it. He's very balanced - safe to walk through crowds, and not a liability with strangers.

Thanks!

Hello,

Welcome to Bahrain!

Sorry, I don't have dogs, but would like to share some information, which might be useful.

There is a dog trainer - search for K9 Bahrain on Instagram.

There is also BSPCA, local animal shelter. They are very kind and know everything animal-related on the island. I think if you give them a call and ask these questions they would not mind answering these questions: http://www.bspca.org/ I used to call them to ask about cats - I've got a cat for the first time and simply did not know who to turn to with urgent questions.

I don't think it's a good idea to let them swim on public beaches.

Amaroq,

Thank you for taking the time to share information. What you said helps a lot. I will  reach out to the BSPCA with my questions. I had no luck finding trainers or clubs through my general search, so I'm glad to hear I may be able to work with a trainer. I will definitely look into K9Bahrain.

This gives me somewhere to start, Thank you again!

You're welcome, I am glad I could be helpful  :)

I am sure there are more trainers - it is worth searching on Instagram and Facebook, lots of small businesses, start-ups and individuals market on social media.

Hi, I've sent you a private message, can you please check your inbox? Thanks! :)