Advice on how to purchase an apartment in Lisbon

Hi everyone.  My wife and I will be moving to Lisbon from the USA in 1-1.5 yrs and we will be buying an apartment at some point.  I want to start doing some research on it.   I know the real estate system is VERY different from that in the USA in that there is no centralized listing service.  Can someone help me with the strategy?

1.  Do you need to work with multiple different agents/companies in order to see "everything" that is available?

2.  Can anyone recommend the top 2-3 companies/agents I can contact to start inquiring? 

3.   We will be looking in pretty centralized areas in the city - Principe Real, Estrela, Campo de Ourique - so if there is a better company that specializes in these regions that would be great!

I really appreciate any help people can give.  I have found online searches to be less that straightforward compared to what I am used to in the USA.  Things are far less transparent in Lisbon.

Thank you.

Jeff

PM sent

Laper wrote:

PM sent

I have noticed that most of your replies are PM sent. Why not share openly so it benefits everyone?
Just some friendly advise unless you participate with more meaningful replies, you are in danger of your PM system being blocked.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

The recommendations made that can be useful to more people:

1.  Yes, there is no centralized system and exist a lot of sources and websites where you can find a property.  You can go to a broker that would liaise with the brokers of each listing.

2.  The bigger brokerage companies are: Remax, Century 21, Era, Keller Williams. Therefore, they are a good starting point.

KR

Hi Jeff.

As far as I know, if you buy a home in Portugal as a third country national, you might be entitled to a ‘golden visa' which gives up to five years residency, if the property is bought for over €500,000.