Malaysian Transit visa

Hi There, I'm flying from Sydney to Hyderabad on 8 Dec and returning 5 Jan via Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, I got halt for 15 hours on both ways, how do I apply for transit, I'm a Indian citizen and Australian resident.

Ask the airline about this as not everyone needs to get a transit visa - there are some complicated rules. I think this has been discussed on the Malaysia forum in the past.

http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_chennai/faqs

TRANSIT PASS (WITHOUT VISA)

Starting from 15 July 2010, Indian national who transit to Malaysia may apply for Transit Pass for not more than 120 hours (5 days) on their journey to a third country.

This pass is issued only at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).

Please check whether you are eligible for Transit Visa / Pass or not. The following are conditions for the said visa / pass:

(i)         Indian visitor(s) who enter / depart to / from the country from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT)  only;

(ii)         Visitor must possess a valid visa (Single Entry / Multiple Entry) from the destination country (only Australia, U.S.A., China, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and Taiwan);

(iii)        Visitor must possess a valid passport / travel document with an expiry date of not less than 6 months on the date of visit;

(iv)        Visitor is not listed among those barred from entering Malaysia;

(v)         Visitor must be in possession of a confirmed ticket to a third country;

(vi)        Visitor must be able to finance his/her stay in Malaysia;

(vii)       Visitor MUST visit the country in group (package tour) and the trip is either a packaged tour in Malaysia or in the destination country; and

- OR -

Transit pass for 120 hours (without visa) can also be considered to Indian citizen who hold valid permanent residence, expatriate / working pass, student pass, dependent pass any long term visit pass from other countries (please bring along document to proof it).

* Please do understand that Malaysian immigration rule differentiate between visa and pass. Visa is the permission to enter the country and pass is the permission to stay in the country. Please check whether your visa is the permission to stay for the said period (i.e. 10 years) or it is only Multiple Entry Visa for 10 years (limited stay each entry). Only long term visit PASS can be considered in this case which means e.g. 10 years stay permission.

- IF NOT -

You can apply for visa before your arrival to Malaysia.

VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA)?

With effective from 16 August 2010, Visa on Arrival (VOA) facility is discontinued for tourists / visitors.

PASSENGER WHO INTENDED NOT TO LEAVE THE AIRPORT

If you are already check in for the next flight and do not plan to leave the airport terminal (i.e. you just want to wait for the next flight in the terminal building), Malaysian visa is not required.

Please consult your airline / travel agent to ensure that you will get your boarding pass for the connecting flight without going out from the main terminal.

Please read further for the case for passenger who depart / arrive from / at Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

LOW COST CARRIER TERMINAL (LCCT), KLIA

Visitors who depart / arrive at / from Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) at KLIA MUST posses valid Malaysian visa (or eligible for Transit Pass), doesn't matter how long the waiting / transit time is (i.e. you can not wait for the next flight inside the terminal building). WHY?

Air Asia is a point to point carrier. Thus, they didn't provide transit (without check out) facility for their passengers. i.e. passenger has to check out from the airport and re-check-in again for the next flight. Passenger has to pass through the immigration check and valid Malaysian visa / Transit Pass is absolutely required for that.

Currently, Air Asia had announce Transit facility for certain route (with Single PNR ticket only). Do check with them for clarification.