Brexit

I am looking for an answer on how me and wife stand regarding Brexit. My wife gets her uk state pension in September 2019 and I am 61 next year. How will we stand for health insurance if we buy a property in November 2019. Or it better to buy the property before March 2019.

Sorry,  but whilst we all can make guesses,  with the current situation in parliament (I was just watching PMs questions) no one knows what will happen or even if anything will happen with Brexit,  and ONLY that will decide anything

So wait and see or plunge in and take your chances

PS. If U.K. do come out of the EU, unless special arrangements are agreed,  uk citizens moving to Spain could be treated as non EU citizens are now. 

That means proving an income of around 27.000€ a year for a couple,  in addition to them having full medical cover.   And that may not be covered by DWP  as it is at  present under the S1 system

Maybe those who have acquired permanent resident status by having lived in spain legally for over five years might be ok providing the EU laws protect them.

For those with less than five years, who knows what situation they may be in ?

Lets hope there is a deal !

Just a real thought

Thank you for a swift reply and your thoughts. The position we are in is that we own a property already in Spain my wife gets her state pension next September with me hoping to take early retirement next June. We are in two minds wether yo go for residential now or wait until next September when my wife receives her pension. I would like your thoughts on the issue PLEASE

I think it comes down to money, would you have comfortable living until September if you moved now?

If you MOVE to spain, that is instead of just visiting, then you are required to register on the EU Citizens Register in effect immediately.     

For that you need to prove an income and have full medical cover

There is a Work around'.'    If you come to spain to stay in your property for no longer that 90 days PERMANENTLY then you do not need to register unless you stay more that a TOTAL of 183  in 12 months

But I repeat, with brexit you MAY need to rethink your long term plans

I am unable to move before next year but we would still be keeping our property in the uk.

If we went for residencia now and bought health insurance for both of us do you think my wife would eligible for free health insurance next September.

I think it depends on what happens with Brexit; as it stands, anybody in receipt of a UK State pension is entitled to apply for an S1 form that will cover them for Health Insurance in other EU countries; it is currently still a requirement of the negotiations (it was amended in I think by the Chequers debacle and I recall seeing Healthcare with a big green tick on the UK TV news).  But if there is no agreement, then it will almost certainly fall with everything else).  Let's all hope for a Brexit deal.

Just to add - it does not entitle you to the same UK cover you had while living in the UK; it provides you with the same healthcare coverage as a Spanish citizen (if living in Spain).