Life as a female expat in China

Hello,

While moving to a new country and discovering new cultures is definitely an exciting adventure, everybody experiences it differently. It can be particularly different for women, in both positive and negative ways.

What are some positive aspects about being a female expat in China?

What are some challenges in China that women face, and what are the ways to overcome them?

How is a woman's role viewed in Chinese's culture and society?

Is it relatively safe for a woman to live in China?

How would a woman go about expanding her social network in a safe way?

Are there any resources available for women to help with their expatriation (e.g. books, articles, support networks, etc.)?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I would say the China is a very safe place to live if you are female. It is a very traditional nation with complex and rich culture and language.

Being a woman might have some unique issues that one wouldn't normally expect to come across.

I had an American friend (female) who married a Chinese man. She was so in love with him, and after their traditional wedding, she was really looking forward to the honeymoon and some time alone. So, imagine her surprise when the parents joined them on their honeymoon. That's right...

Eldest son gets to have the in-laws move in with you.

So they spent the honeymoon together and then they moved in. Once they moved in, the mother expected to have a strong say on how the house was to be decorated, what food to eat, and how to have it prepared, and how soon that they will have children. In short, she ran my friends life from that moment on.

While there are many changes in Chinese culture, there are still many relics that persist. What men expect of a married woman, and the roles is not something that is to be easily discounted. A single western woman coming to China might need to understand this... as there will be some cultural readjustments that might really be necessary.

Most western women are classified in a number of ways...

If you are ABC, or CBA (American Born Chinese), you would be put to very high standards.  You would be expected to live up to those standards. It might be too much if your language skill needs some work. If you can speak Cantonese, you might be surprised how well you will be treated.

If you are a "liberated" western woman, you might be surprised to see that your views on life will not be shared. You would be more apt to be frowned upon as a "Tiger  girl". Men are very traditional here, and roles are taken seriously.

If you are very fat, you will also be looked upon. The Chinese are not politically correct. They tell you things to your face that would cause most westerners to blush. Now, no one wants to be called a "white water buffalo", but you do need to be made aware that the Chinese are a very direct race of people.

In short, and in summary, there are many challenges for a western female. Those who come to China either thrive or whither. It is my hope that you give it your best and make a go of it. Just be prepared to realize that Chinese culture is like nothing that you have ever seen before.

Hi, I have been an expat in china for 5 months.
First of all china is one of the most safest places in the world so being female here is okey, no danger. Social life is also okey but if you are not in Shanghai, and Beijing social life can be a problem since china is not an expat country. You can be alone since Chinese culture is very different than European, not easy to have a social life with Chinese people.
Working in china as a female is good in the aspect that Chinese people respect their managers and if you can build the trust, they try to help and support you. But female boss can be a problem for them, not easy to make them accept you.
Best regards,

To be honest, I haven't experienced any challenges, as a woman that is.

I come from Cape Town, South Africa.  Having grown up in the really dangerous areas of town, then moving to a more secure area as an adult, there was always a vigilance, a reminder, that as a woman I needed to be extra careful.
Now, I live in Dalian. I feel tremendously safe when taking a walk at four in the morning. I can come home at past 11 at night and not have to cross the street when I see a man, or a group of men. You will get those who try to strike up a conversation, that's if you can speak Chinese, or even invite you to have a drink and something to eat 😄. I usually decline, but the best part, I've never had to think of the reprocussions if I said no. Does this mean you get to do that all over China? No. Be aware of your surroundings, but know and find comfort and peace in the fact that you're most probably safer than in many other countries.

Now, social life. I most probably don't have much of a social life, but I'm okay with that. I have two very good friends whom are Chinese. Yes, there are a lot of foreingers in my city, so it's all about what you're looking for.
Oh, just know if you go to the gynecologist at a public hospital, it can be quite the experience. There's no private room where you discuss your issue, and everyone is examined in the same room. So you might have quite a few curious aunties staring at your lady bits, while you're being examined.

Other than that, I hope you all get to have amazing experiences in China.

Will respond soon

Julie

Hello, where are you now? I mean which city?

Hey dear,

You can find it on www.sunnyfilm.cn
Beijing

ADM

Good evening,
Nice to meet you here.
We are close neighbors, London and Bruges.
If I can do something please let me know.
Alfons

in Beijing.

Think I would find it hard to have a relationship w a Chinese guy.