Stuck with resignation issue!

Ive been in my company for 20 months and want to move on because of management issues. I recently was offered a job at a very big company and didnt hesitate to accept the role. However new company says if i could join earlier it would be better because I will be covering for someone taking an annual leave. I have asked my HR how soon she can rlease me after resignation and she said “immediately” so i tendered my resignation and informed the new employer i can join within 10 days. Later on the current employer GM says this is not possible and I need to serve 30 days from date of notice, apart from a lot of delays saying thay I cannot join a company with same industry (non competition clause). The HR just pretended like she didnt put me in trouble and says i have to follow the order and take 30 days!! I am now in an awkward position where i can lose the offer and my current job. I still have unused annual leave days. What do you think i have to do? Should i reach out to new employer and explain that i need 20
Days more to join, or should i Just inform my management thay i will pay for the salary equivalent of notice balance?  Should i just join the new company on the committed date without my current company approcal? Because i dont think they will allow me to use my annual leave to replace notice period. It is really a bumpy ride!! Need advise!!

Look, a notice period of 30 days is as per the law.  It is entirely up to the employer whether they waive it or they adjust it against annual leaves or they deduct it from your salary. 

As a first approach, I would try to negotiate with your current employer by giving all of the above options.  Try to show them that there is no value in holding an employee who has resigned as the productivity / motivation will not be high.

If that fails, level with your new employer.  Tell them that you thought based on communication from your current employer that they will release you but they are refusing to do so. 

I would not join the other company during your notice period as you leave the door open for current employer to file an absconding case against you.  Besides, working for any sponsor without a visa is illegal.

Lastly, please don't post the same question on multiple threads.

Hey thanks. I have spoken to the new employer and explained that I am required to serve 30 days and thankfully they have considered this.

Thank you for the help.

Also, I didn't post this in multiple threads. I initially posted this as a response in a very old thread, one of the admins extracted this as a new post on my behalf to try to get more feedback, this without my knowledge. xD

Good for you. Good luck in your new role.  Point noted on the multiple threads :)