Length of Visa Costa Rica

Hello everyone, my name is Robbie and I am thinking about living long term in Costa Rica...(retirement). But looks difficult from what I read. Is there any advise out there how this can happen.

Hello, Robert. There are many websites that can guide you on the issue. But you can come down on a 90-day visa, go out (Nicaragua/Panam/USA) and renter for 90  more days; other ways are as an investor, by way of marriage, by having a kid born here :-), or as a refugee :-).

I read that after 3 times they catch on on denie the Visa...is that so?

Definitely not.  I know people who have been doing this for 10+ years.

There is no guarantee that you will be given a 90 day tourist 'visa' though. when you re-enter the country. You won't be eligible to be affiliated with the socialized healthcare system. so you would be required to pay for all your medical needs 'over the counter' or purchase private insurance.

Of course, rules and requirements are subject to change.

Must I have a return airline unpon arrival as many sites claim? Which coast and area is best for expats?

Yes, a return ticket, dated within 90 days may be asked for before you are permitted to board your flight. If you purchase a refundable ticket, you should be able to cancel or change the return flight. Some people purchase a bus ticket to Nicaragua...which is not recommended to actually do at this time and to do so, would raise a red flag...then  use this when they need to leave to renew the visa. If you decide to go to Panama instead, the border officials are liable to ask you to produce  a return air ticket to your home country, before allowing you entry in Panama.

The Pacific coast is more popular with expats, but only you can decide what is good for you...but it is usually more expensive to live at the beach.

Thank you, did read about a $1000.00 USD resident Visa. Is that available?

To apply as a Pensiondo it requires that you have a pension/SS of at least US$1000 per month, that is 'guaranteed for life'. That isn't enough to live on, at least in my opinion unless you walk everywhere, don't eat out or enjoy socializing with others.

Info on residency here.

It will cost approx US$2000 to apply for residency and will probably take a year or more to receive it and have your cedula in hand.

Thank you

Robert Truman wrote:

Thank you

Bit far, but look into Portugal also.
Retiree programs available.

There is also a program called Rentista if you don't qualify for the Pensionado visa, perhaps because you want to wait to collect Social Security or whatever.  It's a two year program that requires proof of $2500 US per month for those two years.  That can be established by depositing $60,000 in an approved Costa Rica bank and withdrawing the equivalent of $2500 in CRC each month.   If you can live on less than that, you've got it to reinvest.

Please note that you are required to deposit a second $60k two years later when applying for Rentista status. Most banks out of Costa Rica, will not accept the wording that immigration stipulates.
If the principal applicant is under 55, the mandatory health care will be much higher.