Canadian moving to Bucharest

Hi!

I would like to know about any Canadians living in Bucharest Romania? My girlfriend  lives there and I plan on moving there sometime soon. I understand the job salaries are low but do you find the way of life harder? Is the rent expensive? food? etc. If anyone can supply me with this info, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Welcome to Expat-blog, Timmyzee :)

Your discussion has been redirected to the Bucharest forum  for effective networking.

Regards

What do you mean by "same thing? "
There are some Americans, it's true.

They are quite similar, indeed:)

Hi, Timmyzee ! Since your girlfriend is already living in Bucharest (assume she is Romanian ?), you should already have been made aware about what you need to know, essentially. Better make sure you have good reasons to relocate to Romania, even if short-term. Get all the relevant info/updates from your Canadian consulate in Bucharest (they must have their own website). I wish you good luck ! You'll need it.

:)
Hah.
"I wish you good luck ! You'll need it."
Hah again. Like this is that point of maximum boredom. Perhaps this could be of help : http://kingofromania.com/2010/04/21/how … asy-steps/

Ah, Sam IS American.Romania is a choice for him.
I am Canadian. Romania is a choice for me.
Ludmila-Olga is Moldovan. While browsing through Sam's opinions, you will find what you need to know about Moldovans.
And yes, the US is very relaxed in giving away visas to anybody...

Hey, Callincard ! Since you say you're a Canadian living in Bucharest, and you love so much links, here's one for you that describes to Americans-who-want-to-know what's going on in Bucharest, Romania. That should make you change your ID from Callincard to 'The Contrarian' and perhaps give you - if you're bright - an idea that you did not actually give a pertinent response to the actual question that generated this forum topic in the 1st place. You just give 'opinions' about people. Shut your computer and instead go read some poetry, it is the new trend in the real world. If you're living in it, that is.

http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx#item-10

Auction Fraud — RomaniaAuction fraud is the most prevalent of Internet crimes associated with Romania. The subjects have saturated the Internet auctions and offer almost every in-demand product. The subjects have also become more flexible, allowing victims to send half the funds now, and the other half when the item arrives.

The auctions are often posted as if the seller is a United States citizen, then the subject advises the victim to send the money to a business partner, associate, sick relative, a family member, etc., usually in a European country. The money is usually transferred via MoneyGram or Western Union wire transfer. The Internet Crime Complaint Center has verified in order to receive funds via Western Union, the receiver must provide the complete information of the sender and the receiver's full name and address. The funds can be picked up anywhere in the world using this information. There is no need to provide the money transfer control number (MTCN) or the answer to any secret question, as many subjects have purported to the victims. Money sent via wire transfer leaves little recourse for the victim.

The most recent trend is a large increase in bank-to-bank wire transfers. Most significantly, these wire transfers go through large United States banks and are then routed to Bucharest, Romania or Riga, Latvia.

Similarly, the sellers also occasionally direct the victims to pay using phony escrow services. Sometimes actual escrow websites are compromised and other sites resembling them are created by the subjects. Once the funds are wire transferred to the escrow website, the seller discontinues contact. See also, Escrow Fraud.

"And yes, the US is very relaxed in giving away visas to anybody..."

Do I need to say more?

Hi Timmyzee

Wow dude.  I would SERIOUSLY think about moving here to Bucharest.  Why?  I am a South African, married to a Romanian.  We moved here 4 years ago, hoping that we could settle and start a family.  I decision that we both REGRET!  We are both experienced travelers and have spend many years working onboard cruise ships.  We met allot of different people from around the world, and have seen many, many, many countries.  I am sure that my in-laws will forgive me for saying this (they agree).  There is no future here, unless you are a thief, or know how to cheat people.  Seriously.  If you speak to people on the street, over 85% agree that they are not happy with the situation here.  Political Corruption, takes on a new meaning.  Nothing gets done.  Bucharest is after all the capital, but if you look at the rubbish, holes in the streets, and lack of parking, then you might think that you are in the middle of some low life, 3rd world country.  Potholes.  Man.  I am sure that it rains acid here, because it cannot get fixed.  Now, let me stress this.  I lived in a 3rd world country before, and have traveled in Africa, Central America, and Mexico, but this is the worst.

Now that I have mentioned this.  Here is another negative.  Cost of living is okay, but forget to get a decent apartment.  Prices are so high, that we did not even get close to buying after living here for over 3 years. 

The attitude of most Romanians are negative at the moment.  Don't get me wrong.  I met some really cool people here, but in general, people are rude, and love to complain.  Many discussions here but nobody has the guts to do something about the situation.  Everybody seems to have a solution, but when push comes to shuff...............Nothing!!! Another thing I could, and cannot get used to.  Spitting on the street.  Man!!!  Women and men alike.  They love to spit, and are not holding back.  The dogs, stray or domestic.  Too many dogs, and you have to be careful where you step.  Dog owners are uneducated, and will let their dogs do their business anywhere.  I mean....... Anywhere, including in the middle of the street, in elevators and pedestrian paths.  As for the stray dogs.  Man.  They go out in packs.  It seriously dangerous. 

Okay then.  Just a few negatives, to make you aware of challenges here.  I guess there's no perfect place in this world, but Bucharest, is FAR, FAR, FAR from anything close.

Good luck, and do yourself a favor.  Try to get your girlfriend to leave.  Even better.  Try to get her to you in Canada.  It's amazing how many young people here have left already, or wish they can leave.

Good luck.

I couldn't agree more with theocris.

Why would you let us from stopping you pursue your dream somewhere else? Do what your heart tells you, if you think Bucharest is not the place to be, why wouldn't you export your skills somewhere else? Like Las Vegas, Nevada, with Ludmila-Olga.

Agreed. Every place has its annoyances and its challenges. It's all about finding a place whose irritations you can either adapt to, exploit, or simply learn to ignore. If after 4 years in Romania you haven't been able to do that, I think it's about time you moved on.

Best of luck.

Hi callincard & Maykal

Indeed folks.  Time to move on.  My wife and I are in the process of immigrating to Canada.  We should hear from the authorities there by this summer, and hopefully things will work out for us.  If not, then there's always some other options. 

Timmyzee.  I met my wife on while working on cruise ships.  We are still very much in love after 5 years of marriage, but reality started sinking in while living here.  Follow your heart, but be realistic and open minded. 

I wish you the best of luck, and hope that things will work out well for you and your girlfriend. 

Sorry for the negativity in my previous message, but I just wanted to point out some of the stuff irritating me.  Doesn't mean that it would irritate you, right?

Cheers mate and once again.  Good luck for the future.

Hi Timmyzee,

I don't know if this answer is still relevant, since it's been nearly a year since you posted the question, but, regardless, I will try and reply in the best fashion possible...

I am also a Canadian living in Bucharest, or at least I will be in a short time. But I am no stranger to Romania, since I've had the opportunity to visit on many occasions, due to my work.

You are right about wages, they are certainly below what you would be used to back in Canda. For instance, AFAIK, a $30k annual income would brand you as pretty rich in Romania.

Regarding the cost of living, it pretty much depends on your income. Rent is pretty cheap, with flats costing as low as $200 and as high as $1,000, depending on the level of comfort you expect. The food isn't expensive at all, except when eating out. Restaurant bills tend to get pretty spicy and the food there is usually mediocre. Traditional food is great, though.

I hope the info will be useful to you and anyone reading.

For further info: ask Google

You are comparing to what city in Canada, Kevin?

Callincard; says a lot about you, that you seem to never give any useful advice or info.

Well, who am I to contradict you, kjesper?

In the mean time, wouldn't it be more useful for you to mind your own business, considering you have one?

Of course, your post could be referring to this : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=147290 , where I asked you how did you reached the conclusion that Olotels is not at Western standards, whatever Western standards would mean for a call-center...in the business, "standards" are defined by the indians and the pinoys, but it would be too much to ask you to know something about this, isn't it?

It is way simpler, faster and easier to use a pseudonim and throw accuses...:)