Retired

Hello. Elaine and I are retired Canadians, strongly considering part time residency between Ecuador and Atlantic Canada. We have traveled by rental car, a good portion of Ecuador a few years ago, from Guyaquil to Esmerelda. Mindo, Otavalo, Quito, Cuenca and back to Guyaquil.
Our current choice is the Otavalo / Cotacachi area for further exploration as a permanent place to reside six months of the year. Our kids and grand children get us for the other six. Our home in Halifax is currently listed for sale, but the market has been slow. Therefor it dictates as to when we will return, rent or purchase in Ecuador.
Looking forward to a warm comfortable climate instead of cold and snow of winter.  Our Ecuador home will also further periodic SA travel.
David

Welcome to the "Club",
Many of us have managed to accomplished the dream of having a place where to escape the winter months while keeping open the advantage of summer in Canada.

I chose Tonsupa, a tranquil developing beach town in the Province of Esmeraldas, not many expats in the area. This will be my third year .

MM

Hi Marc. We remember the Tomsupa area from our travels along the coast. I do not remember the name of the hotel we stayed at, can only say it was on the north end one street over from the beach. This was one of a very few places finished at the time as just about everything was under construction including the streets. It was two story with thatched roof(s), a swimming pool in the center court yard and a very nice restaurant. The owner also kept pet rabbits which had the run of the place and they would cosy up to your leg looking for a treat.
We have chosen to stay up in the mountains as the coastal humidity was a bit uncomfortable for me. Who knows we may meet up in Mindo or the Galapagos, time will tell.
David

Hi Marco,

As a Canadian, is the cost of living much lower than in Quebec? Ex: rent a 4 to 5 1/2 for 850$, groceries 300 to 350$ for 1 person, cable TV, internet (basic speed) & land line phone for 150$?

Are there members that are willing to sublet to a person (very quiet) to offer the person to see how life goes? How is life on site, the cost of renting etc...

Thank you in advance for taking the time to consider my questions. If you have any tips, that would also appreciated!

Regards
Lynda 🐈

Hello Lynda,

In general YES!, the cost of living in Ecuador is cheaper, I'd say a third, compared to prices in "Ontario"  where I reside.

Having said that, there are many points to take in consideration, such as: $CD. dollar value Vs. $US. dollar which is the official Ecuadorian money.

Prices for rent, food, entertainment  will also vary as per your choice of where and  how do you want to live. Plenty of choices, from: simple to luxurious.

In my case, my pension (about Cd.$1,400.00) allows me to live comfortably in Ecuador, but I prepared for the move few years back, I bought my living quarters and have my own transportation, thus, do not require to add "rent" expense in my budget.

- Property taxes are ridiculous low, I pay $60,00 / yr.
- gasoline is about $ 1,40 a GALLON ,
- Car insurance is optional
- buses fare $0.25  ( $0.15 for seniors)
- produce in the local market (no packaging) fresh "organic" , exquisite and cheap.

But, no matter what, there are many items won't be able to find locally, thus, if the bud tastes ask for it, will have to wait until returning to Canada.

Bottom line: It takes a while and desire to get used to a different style of living.

Marco

Hello again. My question is regarding home security while o/s Ecuador. You can post me privately if you want.
David

Not quite sure what you mean by "o/s", perhaps "outside"?  "On site"?

In any case, home security in Ecuador for "rich" foreigners is always problematic when there's no one home. 

If you live in a gated complex or in an apartment where there's security there is less chance of burglary.  Stand-alone homes are at greater risk depending on the location.

Home invasions while someone is home are fortunately not common in Ecuador although they can occur.

Overall home security from burglaries is worse than most developed countries, but home invasions are much fewer.  All this depends on your location of course because it varies from city to city and neighborhood to neighborhood.

https://knoema.com/atlas/Ecuador/Burglary-ratehttps://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRepor … ?cid=23368https://safearound.com/americas/ecuador/

I currently live in an apartment but moving to a house and home security is a top concern. I've discussed this with a couple of friends and discussed areas in the capital I'm interested in and they all think it's not an issue as long as I'm home most of the time.

But's the thing, I'm not home most of the time, and I travel, and plan to travel more often.

Sure there are gated communities with relatively reasonably priced homes such as way up north or in the valley but I don't like those areas as I enjoy living in a central location.

So it's really a dilemma and again the concern isn't when a person is home but when away.

Hello Marco,

Thank you for the information, it's really appreciated!

Have you had the chance to visit many places in Ecuador and if so can you give me a brief description on the best places for security, hospital, clinics and temperatures (I find it best around 20 degrees C.)

Hence, I was wondering if you knew a Canadian lady with whom I could either chat with by Skype or via email?

Thank you & have a nice day.

Lynda

HelloLynda,

Although I have my share of travelling around Ecuador, still many places remain for visiting.
I chose the Coast because I enjoy the climate, (average 28- 30 C degrees) thus, it may not be suitable for you.

Regarding safety, I recommend living quarters in an enclosed community regardless of the City where you intend to live.

There are several already settled expats communities, I believe Cuenca has the most, followed by Cotacachi, Loja,  Ambato, and most recently  nearby the airport (Pifo /Tababuela) all these places located at altitudes with great climates.

The number of expats in my area are only few, but keep in touch with several others through the internet.  I suggest to check F/B  "ECUADOR EXPATS TWO". The administrator of this site is Canadian, Melody S. Wright. She is very helpful, I'm sure she will be glad to share time and information with you.

MM

Hello Marco,

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and giving me a lead on site!

I truly appreciate the fact that you took the time to help me.

Best regards,

Lynda💐