From Sunny Zimbabwe

Hello!!

I'm Shannon, from Zimbabwe, I'm 27 and I have been travelling the world for the last 6 years. I previously worked in the American Fine Arts Field alongside several internationally acclaimed artists. The lessons I've learnt as an Art Gallery Director have been invaluable!

I am looking for a full time job in Budapest, as an English Teacher. I love people, and having the ability to teach and learn from those I meet  as well as my surroundings is what gives me great pleasure.

Any contacts or referances for job offers in Budapest in the Languages field would be great for this next chapter of my life!

I too will do my level best to share my travel  experiences with all who ask for their personal growth.

Ms. Shannon Brown wrote:

Hello!!

I'm Shannon, from Zimbabwe, I'm 27 and I have been travelling the world for the last 6 years. I previously worked in the American Fine Arts Field alongside several internationally acclaimed artists. The lessons I've learnt as an Art Gallery Director have been invaluable!

I am looking for a full time job in Budapest, as an English Teacher. I love people, and having the ability to teach and learn from those I meet  as well as my surroundings is what gives me great pleasure.

Any contacts or references for job offers in Budapest in the Languages field would be great for this next chapter of my life!

I too will do my level best to share my travel  experiences with all who ask for their personal growth.

Do you have any claim to citizenship within the EU or EEA?

No I do not, however I would like to obtain citizenship eventually. I know the process is timely.

Ms. Shannon Brown wrote:

No I do not, however I would like to obtain citizenship eventually. I know the process is timely.

That's not so good.  You'd need someone to sponsor you and that's quite difficult.

Are you sure you don't have at least one Irish grandparent or something?

Or have you got some special skills like qualified pharmicist, radiographer, nurse or medic?

I have German and Irish decentdants from generations back, I feel traking down the makeup of my DNA would be more difficult than working my way towards becoming a citizen. Why do I need to be sponsored?

Ms. Shannon Brown wrote:

I have German and Irish decentdants from generations back, I feel traking down the makeup of my DNA would be more difficult than working my way towards becoming a citizen. Why do I need to be sponsored?

Because you are not an EU or EEA citizen.    You would need to have someone try and justify the need to bring you from Zim to here.  You probably have more chance of going to Korea to teach English. There are far easier and more desirable places to get citizenship than here.

Do you speak Hungarian to a good level? If not, you have not much chance.  Unless one of your parents is Hungarian citizen (and that means you are a HU citizen too), you'd need to work rather hard to get in here and pass the Hungarian language test.

Sorry about it but those are the rules the government have imposed at the moment.

Can I also add to what Mr fluffy has said. Even with if you could pass the hurdles, a teachers salary in Hungary is not the best paid of jobs. It's been said before on this forum, some have had to take on more than one job just to so they can survive. :(

Thank you.

I'm aware the pay is not favourable. I have personal reasons to be in Hungary. Despite the negatives you've both mentioned, I will still do my level best to find a legal way to work and live in Hungary.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but just making you aware of the facts. Anyway, I wish you all the best on your journey and hope you can find a way.

Ms. Shannon Brown wrote:

I'm aware the pay is not favourable. I have personal reasons to be in Hungary. Despite the negatives you've both mentioned, I will still do my level best to find a legal way to work and live in Hungary.

OK, go for it. 

Obviously we don't know anything about you so just musing for a minute.

If you are in a relationship with a boyfriend/girlfriend from here that you can marry etc., then that might help get your foot in the door.   

Certainly gay people have been able to claim asylum in some countries on the grounds their lives are under threat.   

But the government here is unfortunately rubbish on immigration now and doesn't recognise some kinds of relationships as being relevant to immigration status (i.e. doesn't recognise gay marriage and the rights that come with that)   

One thing which will ease your status is having money.  If you have money then you can buy yourself into here or just about anywhere else.

But if no money, because of all these hurdles, it's certainly easier to go somewhere  else - like the UK, NZ, Canada or even The Netherlands (for Afrikaans speakers). 

Notice I left out the USA as it looks very muddled there (when looking from here).

Others might post stuff but in the meantime, best of luck.

Do you have a TEFL certificate? Because that is the best way to get a job teaching English.

klsallee wrote:

Do you have a TEFL certificate? Because that is the best way to get a job teaching English.

Yes, forgot about that.  Easy to obtain online.  Several of my relatives have taught English around the world as part of their world travels.  Even one of my older kids did it and at the same age as the OP but they did it in Korea, Japan etc.

I will be certified very soon.