Considering a move to the USA from UK - Want to buy house

I am seriously considering leaving London, UK to go to USA.

I am a software engineer/full stack developer and would be great to get some insights from people who have already made the move or know more about living in the USA after having lived in the UK.

UK has turned out to be a ridiculous country to live in. The house prices in London are ludicrious and you can never save money. You spend so many hours working your life here and it amounts to nothing at the end.

I want to own a house not have a landlord.

So what can be done?

I would like to know what is the best state to move to, and best city within that state in terms of high salary, low house prices, high quality of life and low taxes.

Does it exist?

Thanks,

Mike

I can't help but agree with you as to the state of the UK.
My sis is still over there and, without being too rude (yy Yorkshire standards :D), she's a ruddy idiot.
All her cash goes on the mortgage and other stuff when she could so easily set herself up in another country and live very nicely.
I wouldn't choose the US for a variety of reasons, mostly because I like Asia, but each to his own.
Have you considered the possibility of remote working because that would leave half the world open to you?

Hi Mike. I moved from Surrey UK to Houston, Tx as an ICU nurse. Best moved ever. Great opportunities to work as much as you want, do business, travel, buy brand new SUV and most specially after one year I got my own house with a lake view, twice the size compared to my old house in UK and less the mortgage I am paying thanks to the people I've known thru networking. Texas has one tax (Federal) unlike other states (Federal, State and City tax). Houston is a melting pot and there are alot of expats from UK, multi-national companies are here investing so there's a lot of work opportunities, low cost of living and affordable housing.

Moving to US is not easy. I have to get a company willing to sponsor my  Greencard and the process took me almost 2 years to move but it is worth the wait.

Yes, no state income tax is a big seller when it comes to relocation. One thing employers and realtors forget to mention about states without income tax is real estate tax. We paid 3.5% of appraisal value adjusted on an annual basis in Ft. Worth. It gets scary when your tax bill reaches the amount of your mortgage.

Few Europeans are familiar with upkeep costs from annual taxes, added taxes such as school district/profession/..., HOA and associated requirements from landscape to building/decor restrictions, utilities in extremely war/cold markets. Covenants/ordinances by state/munification/HOA. Not to mention closing costs with or without financing at purchase and sale.

If OP thinks he can buy a house and be lord of his castle he may have a rude awakening. Do your homework!

Real estate ownership and US immigrantion are not connected. Does it make sense to buy and upkeep a house without living there permanently? Plenty of snow birds do it. Otherwise travel.state.gov and uscis.gov are official immigration sites who cover the topic from soup to nuts.

Hi guys!

Thanks for those responses. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for letting me know about the taxes there Mae. Thanks twostep, for the warnings. Thanks Fred also to your input. I am actually considering remote work as a possibility.

I wonder, how would it work. I have researched that the highest paying salaries for a software engineer is in Switzerland and the USA. In the Switzerland Zurich seems to be the highest paying part with less tax and in the USA, Austin - TX, and Seattle, WA seems to be the best in terms of salaries.

Now, would it be possible to get remote job, with the salary of Austin or Seattle or Zurich and live anywhere in the world? Would I need to pay taxes for my local country? What if I AM constantly traveling?

Regards,

Mike

Often remote work is on contract basis. No, you cannot live anywhere and work there remotely. EU citizens can move and work freely within the EU. Of course there are plenty of blogs and reality shows claiming all you need is high speed internet and all is well - as long as you are legally authorized to work in the specific country.

How does the country whose passport you carry handle expat income? No idea. Generally the country you are producing your services in expects taxes to be paid.