Exploiting the Expat market

Not a day goes by when I don't have a stack of unsolicited mail directed at expats shoved into my mailbox, inbox and even arriving on my cell phone. (How my address got out there, I have no idea.) Expat Insurance, Expat Banking, Expat Food, Expat haircuts, Expat Maids, Expat Dating, Expat Cars, Expat Real Estate... Basically, they seem to think a picture of a white person and the word Expat is going to make me blindly wander out the door and spend money.

Upon closer inspection these direct ads are all scams. Whatever they offer isn't a "Special price" and is in fact many times what other places offer to Singaporeans. Just the fact that they think Expats would fall for this is insulting. It's got to the point where just seeing the word "Expat" on an ad makes me cringe.

At least it makes things easy for sorting mail. You just scan for one word and.... delete! Thank you advertisers for making my mail sorting so much easier.

Hi Typebug!

That is why we usually advise people to be careful about giving away their mail adresses on public sections! Unfortunately some get fooled by these and even lose money.
Thanks for alerting others as we sometimes feel our warnings are never enough.

Regards
Armand

You know what's crazy? I think Singtel, Starhub or HSBC have been the ones who sold my address because I don't give it out to anyone. I don't remember checking off a box to get third party promotions but maybe there's no law where they have to give people an option here.