Appliances

I am told a step up step down converter will work on 220V appliances in the US? Has anyone actually done so successfully?

Heavy duty transformers will allow you to use 220v gear on 110v mains power but the messing around and transport costs will probably make taking your stuff to the states a waste of time and money.

thanks Fred. I have equipment such as Dewalt. To dispose of it is a big loss. The second hand market is not that great at the moment. Then to buy in the US another outlay of funds. A transformer is not that much to buy. The hassle, as you say, at customs and transportation is the unknown to me - but as you say a waste of time and money. Thank you for your opinion. I think it best i check US prices then decide from there.

Anything with motors or heating elements will require big transformers, not the small stuff you see on the internet.
Check the prices of these as well as they could be a problem to find, thus perhaps expensive.

Using power tools while they are on a heavy converter box is cumbersome and dangerous. Not to mention that they burn out. You are talking about some massive equipment.

Some opinion says 220V appliances and tools can be used with a good converter whilst others say its cumbersome and perhaps expensive and a waste of time. 

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY TAKEN 220V TOOLS AND SUCCESSFULLY USED THEM WITH A GOOD CONVERTER?

Thank you for the responses thus far. Much appreciated.