US citizen w/ EU spouse to move to Ireland. Visa process questions?

My wife and I are interested in relocating permanently to Ireland, and my wife is a French citizen, so we're researching the visa opportunities I have access to as the spouse of an EU citizen. I'm wondering if anyone else who has been through this could help clarify the visa options available to me?

I'm currently looking for work in Ireland (while still in the US), and we'd like to not have to move until I've received a job offer and have a financial anchor there to support us. We've read about the EU Treaty Rights visa process for a Stamp 4 visa.

According to this page (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU Treaty Rights), we'd be able to submit the application for it only after arriving in Ireland and legally establishing our residence (which itself would take at least a few weeks to gather the appropriate documentation), and we would then have to wait an additional ~12 weeks for me to receive temporary permission to start working while they then finish processing my application.

The issue with that is that, between giving notice at our current jobs, moving to and establishing residence in Ireland, and then the 12 weeks or so mentioned above, it looks like it would be ~4-5 months before I could actually start working from the acceptance of a job offer.

However, reading here (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo … tml#lef21f) under "How to apply" and here (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo … onals.html) under "EU Treaty Rights", it makes it sound as if I'd be able to receive a 4 EU FAM Certificate of Registration almost immediately upon arrival in Ireland when I register at the local immigration registration office.

Specifically, in the first link, where it says:

"As soon as possible following your arrival in Ireland, you should go to your local immigration registration office to register"

Then the second link:

"When you register with your local registration office the Certificate of Registration that you receive will be a residence card with the wording 4 EU FAM"

And that second bit of text about the 4 EU FAM certificate actually contains a link leading to the page containing the first bit of text, so it seems to be saying that you would perform this registration during which you'd receive the 4 EU FAM certificate as soon as you can after arrival in Ireland, NOT after submitting the EU Treaty Rights visa application and waiting ~12 weeks to be given temporary permission.

This is a very important distinction for me because one interpretation would mean telling potential employers that I'd have to wait 4-5 months from the acceptance of a job offer to be able to start work, and the other interpretation would mean waiting closer to maybe a few weeks (which gives a much greater chance at finding an employer to hire me).

Would someone who is familiar with this process be able to clarify this for me?

Otherwise, does anyone know of anything else that can be done to minimize the amount of time I'd have to wait before I could start working? Another type of visa or registration process? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've followed your links and agree with you that it is confusing; my advice would be to contact them directly:

EU Treaty Rights

EU Treaty Rights Applications Unit
Residence Division
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70
Ireland

Email: [email protected]
Web: EU Treaty Rights

Interestingly, they don't give a phone number, but from a different source, I've found  +353 (0)62 32500 as being their number.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you, I'll give them a call and see what they say.