LGBT community in Mexico

We are looking to move to Lake Chapala and we were wondering if anyone can give us any feedback about the safety for LGBT people.  We are a mature retired couple.

I would think much safer than in the U.S. Where I live there are people who are obviously LGBT and they just go about life like everyone else. I haven't seen an open showing of affection beyond hand-holding, but Mexico is a place where there is a lot of hugging, back patting and cheek kissing normally, men and women. I don't think I have seen cheek kissing by men, but there is a lot of back patting and hugging.

Men in Mexico hug. They normally don't kiss each other. Being LBGT in Mexico most tend to be a bit more conservative than in the US. However I have seen hand holding on occasion.

not good place for u. gov is anti-gay. aND THEY ENFORCE IT, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE FIASCO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS INVOLVED IN CONCERNING PEDOPHILES

grapenut wrote:

not good place for u. gov is anti-gay. aND THEY ENFORCE IT, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF THE FIASCO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS INVOLVED IN CONCERNING PEDOPHILES

I would be really careful about attacking the Catholic church in a Catholic country if I were you. As for LGBT people, the Gov. is not attacking them, but they do need to confine open shows of affection because the population isn't going to be very tolerant of that.

As for pedophiles, there is plenty of that in most religions as well as in youth groups, some schools, and politics, especially in the U.S.

I figure being judgemental about one person's beliefs, and spreading disinformation isn't going to help anyone.

Given the large number of expats in Lake Chapala, I've heard they're pretty open and accepting there. As well, I know San Miguel de Allende has many gay expats, Mexico City you see many openly gay couples and gay marriage is legal in Mexico City. I live in Querétaro which is known as a fairly religious city but I see young gay couples holding hands on the street, in malls without being harassed, as well every year in Querétaro there is an ever-growing gay pride march. But of course, the best way to know is to rent and spend a few months to a year in an area...

Nothing ever happened to gay's in my city of Allen,TX.  If your effeminate, fine, go with it.  Are you planning a coup?  Are you going to walk around town in black leather chaps baring your Gluteus Maximus?  It's the "in-your-face" attitude that people might get offended by. Oh the gays..., I mean LGBT, and don't forget the "Q" (Queer) people.