Registering a marriage without Brazilian spouse present

Hello everyone,

My fiancee and I have been going back and forth about this one. I'm currently living in Vancouver, Canada, and she is in Brazil. We are trying to move to Brazil after our wedding.

We are planning to get married here in Canada (ironically, to skip the bureaucracy, and not risk the my remaining status in Brazil, as I've already spent 60 days there this year). However, we've run into a problem.

After our marriage, my wife is going to need to return to Brazil the next week for professional commitments (she teaches at a university). I was planning to join her there in September. She cannot stay long enough to wait to receive the official marriage certificate by mail. She needs to go back to Brazil.

She thinks I can take the certificate, when it arrives, to the consulate here in Vancouver to have it legalized (not registered), then take the legalized document to Brazil to register at the Cartorio, and that's that. We move on to the permanency process for me.  She is almost certain about this.

I disagree. From everything I've read, I think that SHE has to be the one to register the marriage in Vancouver once we receive the marriage certificate.  This, of course, makes things highly difficult, as she probably won't have sufficient leave from her job to come back here and register it until New Years.

So, is she right or am I right?

Also: Would the consulate in Vancouver accept the provisional marriage certificate that they provide after the wedding as a 'stand in' until I can deliver the official one? My spouse could declare the marriage, but I could bring in the official one when it arrives?

Or: I've read somewhere that I can declare the marriage at the consulate if we can show an impediment to her doing it. Any information about this?

Thanks so much for the help! I really appreciate it.

Daniel

Hi DanielMorton, :)

I suggest you visit Formalities in Brazil of the site where you can find some useful informations for your case.

Anas,
Expat.com Team :top:

Daniel,

When we got married last July (in Illinois), we didn't want to wait for the mail, either.  So, rather than have the minister send in the completed Marriage License, she gave it to us, we walked it into the County Clerk's office on Monday morning, and they issued our Marriage Certificate then and there.   Will British Columbia let you do that?

Daniel

If you are talking about registering your marriage certificate at the consulate. Hague countries need to have it apostiled.  There are other documents also to apostile for your permanência. I suggest you go to PF.gov.br. Look under immigration for a list of requirements.

Jim

My Brazilian wife and I married in San Diego  California. We did not register the marriage at the Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles. Wife returned to Brazil. I took the marriage certificate to the consulate and for a small fee the consulate legalized the marriage certificate. As I recall the processing time was five working days. I then hand carried the legalized marriage certificate to Brazil where my wife registered the marriage at the cartorio.

ohanasurf wrote:

My Brazilian wife and I married in San Diego  California. We did not register the marriage at the Brazilian consulate in Los Angeles. Wife returned to Brazil. I took the marriage certificate to the consulate and for a small fee the consulate legalized the marriage certificate. As I recall the processing time was five working days. I then hand carried the legalized marriage certificate to Brazil where my wife registered the marriage at the cartorio.

Was that prior to August 2016?  Until that date, there was a difference between legalizing a marriage certificate and registering a marriage, because Brazil had not adhered to the Apostille Convention.  Since then, the consulates will no longer legalize documents, and require apostilles instead.  They  will, however, still register marriages.

Hello everyone: I sent email inquiries to 5 diff translators, Eng to Port. & received no response from either. Can anyone recommend a service or qualified person to translate my US papers to obtain spousal ststus in UAI? Also, is it correct that a translation is no longer needed for the criminal background check? One more question if I may, how should I proceed with setting up an appt during this health crisis? I already sent an email, no answer. Thanks for your help.

Wazzup wrote:

Hello everyone: I sent email inquiries to 5 diff translators, Eng to Port. & received no response from either. Can anyone recommend a service or qualified person to translate my US papers to obtain spousal ststus in UAI? Also, is it correct that a translation is no longer needed for the criminal background check? One more question if I may, how should I proceed with setting up an appt during this health crisis? I already sent an email, no answer. Thanks for your help.

As I replied in a different thread, if you're having trouble finding a local Sworn Translator, contact Fidelity Translations at www.fidelity.com.br.  They're responsive, do excellent work, are reasonable, and work over the Internet.

If I am correct in understanding that a UAI is an office of the State of Minas Gerais that provides one-stop shopping for various state services, that might be good for things like drivers' licenses, but registering your marital status is not a state function.  You need to go to a cartório for that.

A good rule of thumb (and the law since 1916) is that you need a Sworn Translation of every document you submit to the Federal Police, except your passport.  That definitely includes your criminal background check, and any other official document in English that you submit.

Does anyone know of the process seeking asylum here in Brazil

You can start here for some good information and links:
https://help.unhcr.org/brazil/en/asylum … p-by-step/