Expenses and savings opportunity

Hey everyone, I am moving to Budapest in 3 weeks for work. The lucky part is, my place is paid for by my employer, so I don't have to worry about the rent expense, however, I am not getting the food and travel passes they are providing me until September (I think). So my question becomes, about how much money would you recommend I bring to cover food, travel just within the Budapest region most likely, and every day life? My job will not be paying much and with my American expenses, I already know I am going to need a second job to be able to save any money at all so I am trying to keep as much in savings as I possibly can for when I move again. Thanks so much!

Check out this site for cost of living www.numbeo.com

thank you!

The city wide travel pass is about $40. US dollars per month,not too bad really.
You can walk just about anywhere in the city though, it's not all that big.
Food, no one can really say, we don't know your eating habits.
No idea what American expenses you have.
If your paying rent back home or storage fees those can add up.

Ksnook wrote:

My job will not be paying much and with my American expenses!

And don't forget, that if your employer is paying for your housing, that cost is considered "income" for you on your US Tax return. So you may have taxes due on that amount as well. You have to use IRS form 2555 to at least account, and then deduct, for this housing income if you live outside the US for more than 11 months, else such "income" might stress your actual cash income even more. :|

My job is tax exempt in the US, so that isn't going to be a problem luckily. 😊

Ksnook wrote:

My job is tax exempt in the US, so that isn't going to be a problem luckily. 😊

Up to $80,000 is tax exempt for expats, but we still have to fill out and submit the IRS forms.  :)