Retirement Visa Brazil

I am from the US and living in Recife on a one year volunteer visa which expires August 28, 2018. The law and renewal process for this type of Visa has changed as of January 1, 2018 and is now handled by the Department of Labor and is very complicated. My intention is to apply for a Retirement Visa rather than renew the Volunteer Visa. I have the qualifications for a Retirement Visa, age and income. Does anyone know how the process for this type of Visa (Retirement) works now and, if it is advisable to have a Brazilian Immigration attorney handle this, know of any in the Recife area?

Thudzina,

That's a great question.  The retirement visa appears to have been eliminated in the new Migration Law that went into effect in November.  I've searched for any sign of it in the law, and can't find it; I also have looked on several Brazilian Consulate websites for a temporary visa that would logically replace it, and haven't found that, either.  It may well be the case that retirement visas already granted have been grandfathered, but that no new ones will be granted.

I generally suggest that people with a complex problem like this talk to an attorney, but in this case, I'd suggest calling the Federal Police first, and asking them what the process is for obtaining a retirement visa.  If they're still following the old process, they'll tell you, and if it has been abolished, they'll tell you that, too.  If their answer seems wrong to you, then it's time to talk to a lawyer for confirmation.  Good luck!

I believe retirement visas have been eliminated with the new law and were not replaced. Seek advice from a lawyer.