Legal services in Spain

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Spain.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Spain?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Spain? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Just a word of advice

Do not take for granted that legal services, or for that matter any other services, will be like you have experienced probably almost anywhere else

Over my 30 years here, from personal  experience and that of people I have known, I know it is often the case that advice is wrong   

That can be tested by asking several leaglly qualified professionals the same question and see if you ever get the same answer,  even twice !

I appreciate that is not any help to those who really do need advice.   However, at least nowadays one can research  on the internet and hopefully discover the correct answer, often on forums such as this

Good luck
John

This is a though one!

Something I learned here in Spain is that everything can be done on your own, it just takes time. On the other hand, if money is not an issue you may place your faith in hands of a throat-slitting attorney. I recall upon landing in Spain I went to visit a migration lawyer and just for starters they were planning to bill 450€!!! Then I did some digging and realized that I could do the paperwork on my own. I've seen a lot of foreigners w/ attorneys in different "extranjeria" offices and things backfiring right at their faces!

Perhaps if you're planning to set up a Company it would be a good idea to talk w/ an attorney or in case of driving issues (i.e. DUI/DWI, collision, file a complaint...), rental problems... Tax problems.

If you have the money, of course they're accesible and if you're planning to look for one, ask around! W/O a doubt it can be an expensive venture. There are some public ones for immigration related matters and free legal advice at some ayuntamientos (town hall) or maybe at some Law Schools.

Good!
  At the beginning of my 25 years in Spain, I always asked those who stayed here for a long time, but after a while I discovered that their advice was outdated.
Spain changes like all other countries, so those who had been here for a short time knew more about the situation today ...

elcanario93 wrote:

.......  so those who had been here for a short time knew more about the situation today ...

Good advice unless you ask people who work within the system,  and of course if the people you ask actually do know.  Often they do not so don't be mislead

Hi,

Yes, I'm trying to find out everything I need to do but I can't seem to find much.

Thanks

Les