Legal services in Mauritius

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Mauritius.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Mauritius?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Mauritius? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

As an expat having moved to Mauritius from South Africa 2 years ago, I found that having all my needs (occupation permit application, expat help desk and legal requirements from a law firm) with a company offering it all under one roof REALLY made my life a lot easier and the process hassle (and stress!) free.

For those setting up business, you will need the help of a management company, but they won't offer legal advice, for example, on employment laws in Mauritius for your future employees - having a law firm under the same roof is a life saver. 

Aim to find someone who can help you with the actual paperwork of setting up business / permit applications and who offer a law firm and expat assistance (such as sourcing insurance, a house, schooling for your kids, pet relocation etc).   Any questions I am happy to share my experience / contacts!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

thanks glad to find someone the relocated from south Africa it just make it easier when we have quarys most people are from other countrys

Thanks Esmarie,

We are relocating from Cape Town so it's nice to know what made it easier for you.  The only thing we are really struggling with (at the moment) is with regard to finding jobs.  Both of us are able to work for ourselves but i'm not certain what the legalities and expectations are (if we are allowed to)  continue working for ourselves.

Hope to meet you in person one day.

Warmest regards
Candi

Hi there anyone. If we moved to Mauritius as expats, must my husband (as the head incomer) work as a expat IN Mautitius or can he still work outside Mauritius as an expat

Thanks for the information.
I shall be coming to Mauritius around 6 / 7 August.
Staying at Pearle resort...
Will contact you for more information on this subject.
Thanks again
vijay

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Sure, Vijay!
I am happy to share my experience and help where I can.  Let me know.

Hi! 
Sure, I am happy to help and share my experience :) welcome to send me a message / e-mail and I can try and share some information.

We are making use of Abax Services to set up our entity and assist with migration.

Good Day .

I currently reside in South Africa and want to relocate to Mauritius .
I am having a tough time finding a recruitment company in Mauritus
in the Insurance sector .
Can you assist with names and phone numbers ?
Much Appreciated .

Hi Kivashni
Unfortunately you will find it quite hard to fins employment from SA... recruitment agenciea are not the preferred method for recruiting (newspaper, word of mouth and some websites like jobs.mu are used often).
It works best to come here and see potential employers directly. You should make contact directly with insurers brokers etc.

Hi Esmari,

Can you please suggest a Law Firm in Mauritius that can assist us with property investments, permits, approvals for property investments, moving to Mauritius, buying a hotel or resort, establishing a new investment company and moving funds from South Africa to Mauritius to be used to buy the hotel or resort and other related guidance and assistance?

Alternatively, who did you use to assist with your needs?

Much appreciated!

George

Hi George! I have sent you a message to your inbox!

Hi there
thank you for your advice. Also South Africans from Durban.will contact you when we are ready to move.
Thanks again

Hi Esmarie,  thanks so much for your informative posts - would also like to know who you'd recommend for immigration attorney?

Hi there, please could someone recommend an immigration attorney in Mauritius ... hopefully, someone you have used and know their services?