Legal services in India

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in India.

What types of legal services might an expat need in India?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in India? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

I am a lawyer by profession and have been practicing in Delhi courts from the past 7-8 years now. I have handled a lot of issues especially related with expats and foreigners living, working and doing business in India.

With the introduction of foreign direct investment brings novel and complex legal issues concerning foreigners living and working in India. The following kind of legal services an expat might need in a country like India -

Indian regulatory laws and compliances and dealing with it.
Real estate such as renting or leasing and dealing with the landlord issues.
Immigration and settlement issues or dealing with FRRO.
Business compliance, taxation, and registration of a company.
Employment rights, contract issues, and labor laws when working in India.

Legal services in India can be from complex commercial disputes to contract interpretation, dealing with legal matters in India can be a complex and bewildering experience. Especially litigation in India for a foreign company or an expat sometimes can be a daunting, expensive and frustrating experience.

India's rapidly growing infrastructure, industry, and services sectors have opened up its economy to greater foreign investments. This development has led to numerous employment opportunities for foreign nationals working in skilled and specialized roles here. India is one of the most favored destinations for expatriates that want to work in the emerging markets like India so the demand for legal services also has grown a lot.

The best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in India is to go by the recommendations or the word of mouth in a huge country like India where Delhi is the most legally concentrated state in India, with every 300th person in the city being a lawyer, and the number is increasing every day.

Best,
Saurabh Kocher

Hi Priscilla,

Mr. Saurabh Kocher has pretty much covered the various reasons for requiring legal services.
If You ever require a lawyer, I would definitely suggest a referral.
Regarding FRRO, they are very helpful and You can take care of Your issues directly. ( if at all)

For  renting a property, I would suggest verifying the details of the agreement with a local  lawyer .
a double opinion is suggested for knowledge and finances involved

Best

Ritu A

Hello Mr. Saurabh Kocher,

I am in the process of acquiring a business in India and look to close in September.  I plan to move to India and run the daily operations for the first couple years and return thereafter every couple months. 

Can you recommend an Attorney who can help me with the appropriate documentation relating to the visa and allowing me to secure a rental home?  I plan to live in Noida,  near the office.

Thank you,
Larry