Legal services in Colombia

Hello,

Legal services can be a headache when you don't have the relevant and necessary information, especially upon moving to a new country. Please share some tips regarding legal services in Colombia.

What types of legal services might an expat need in Colombia?

Are legal services easily accessible?

What are the best ways to go about finding a professional for your legal needs in Colombia? (e.g. online, yellow pages, word of mouth)?

What are the most affordable options for legal services (private, public, etc.)? Is there a range regarding fees?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

This is a topic it hurts too.much to talk about.

Try to avoid getting into a situation where you nerd a.lawyer.

As usual in Colombia, word of mouth is the way to get things done.

If the Spanish language is not adequate then the problems are very serious!

There is a big difference between understanding/communicating in conversational Spanish as opposed to comprehending legal Spanish as printed in documents.

A conversational-Spanish speaker is worlds apart from someone fluent in printed Spanish legalese.

Many situations, visas included, are challenging to Expats .. most of whom benefit from a visa professional's assistance.

10 percent of Expats can do practically everything on their own.

Don't expect to take on the bureaucracies of La República on your own, despite what the 10 percent says, especially when you may be doing something for the first time or if the tax or immigration laws have recently changed (as they have).

cccmedia

That makes total sense.

Agree que y ccc and worse. Imho avoid all legal stuff here. From what ive seen my gringo friends you cant win. Just tyed up in court for years but the lawyer still charging. Even several my Colombian friends totally screwed over on property. Warrenty deeds here worth the paper theyre printed on. I had planned on buying a house but from stuff ive witnessed my own eyes...never! Renting safe way. I do know people who had no issues on prop but too many got taken. And they did everything according to the rules. Now still in court years and no end in sight...just the lawyer bills.

Floridaray wrote:

Agree ... Imho avoid all legal stuff here. From what ive seen my gringo friends you cant win...

tyed up in court for years but the lawyer still charging. Even several my Colombian friends totally.  Now still in court years and no end in sight...just the lawyer bills.

When I bought my condo in pre-construction in 2004, the salespeople told me the developer would pay me a multa of $8,000 US if he didn't complete my unit on time.

Sure enough, they missed the deadline by a mile.

Only then was I informed it would cost me $3,000 to file the initial motions in court to seek the penalty.

So I passed on the multa, probably saving me years in time, a lot of aggravation, additional legal bills and an uncertain court result.

cccmedia

Yeah ccc. Sometimes its better to cut ur losses. Ive found some pretty good deals here but whether you make out seemslike based on the luck of the draw.

Law students will be good bet. i use a student Name Sara Moreno ( presently she is gone to France for Masters in Law...LLM) from Envigado.
I still consult thru email and Whatsapp msg.

Dont trust Colombian lawyers..even less than Lawyers elsewhere and Colombians in general.

Especially female lawyers from places like la "Universidad " (I use the word very loosely)  de Gran Colombia in Armenia.

I have a good lawyer who works for a firm. He/she can offer consults but most lawyers here in Colombia work 12 hours a day, do their own discovery, investigations etc. Even in the big firms. So imagine being a lawyer here and if 1) the good ol boy  system applies, technicalities still apply, and as usual case history is irrelevant, than the average lawyer has their hands full. My lawyer is about 25, works 14-16 hour days and makes 2.5 millone pesos per month (just for now). I consider he/she more knowledgeable about thier area of expertise than most US attorneys, who practice negotiation more than law.
He/shehe has to double check and cross all the t's and dot all the i's more than usual. I prefer the young ones who still have heart and dreams than than the old toast who know how to play the field.

Can i have the contact info please.

Can I have the legal advisor WhatsApp nos please