10 things we need to know about expat life in KL

Hi,
We are considering a move from the UK to KL later this year and would like to hear from you guys who have lived there for a while.

Please tell us your top tips both good and bad so we can have an honest reflection on life there.

Thanks
CL

I moved out with my family in December and love it. Sure there are some frustrating things, but mostly we just laugh them off. The benefits far out way the drawbacks! I do miss my family and friends back in the UK though. I would suggest a visit before you commit to moving out!
If you have any specific questions i'd be happy to answer them.

Hi J0amelie

Thanks for responding, how did you find the relocation / finding accom in KL ? Did you use a local relocator to guide your search etc? Whats transport like to Mt Kiara? I dont want to have a car if i can use the city transport systems so guess need to understand what is practical to get to/from KLCC where my office will be.

Thanks
CL

you need to buy a car and gps @ unless you are going to stay in park view which is 100 meters away from KLCC
actually you need to stay nearby KLCC cuz there is a traffic jam around KL city in the morning and in the afternoon 4:30 pm - 8:30 pm

ceilidh wrote:

Hi J0amelie

Thanks for responding, how did you find the relocation / finding accom in KL ? Did you use a local relocator to guide your search etc? Whats transport like to Mt Kiara? I dont want to have a car if i can use the city transport systems so guess need to understand what is practical to get to/from KLCC where my office will be.

Thanks
CL

Hi Ceilidh,
Most people live fairly close to where they work because traffic is heavy and public transport tends to be a little hit and miss. I'm not so sure about Mt Kiara for trains, but I will find out for you. The KTM is terrible, the line which I live near, but others aren't anywhere near as bad. Mt Kiara is also notorious for bad traffic, we looked at a school out there, but getting there each day would have been a nightmare.

Do you have your heart set on living in Mt Kiara, there are lots of other great places to live. We did a lot of house hunting on the internet, but trying to communicate with a realtor before you are here is impossible...they just don't want to know. We found the iproperty website excellent for finding somewhere to live. I would be happy to recommend a couple of excellent realtors, they will pick you up and drive you around the areas and show you different properties, but we also just contacted the realtors advertising on iproperty...some where better than others.

Otherwise, how did we find relocation....it takes time! The employment pass didn't arrive until 2 months after we arrived, which meant we couldn't get a bank account, or a car, and I had to be paid in cash! We arrived with only 3 suitcases, and our shipping arrived 6 weeks later, by which time being reunited with it was like Christmas! 5 months in things are a lot easier!
Jo

Hi J0amelie

Thanks for the info, not stuck on Mt Kiara just looked nice on IProperty, happy to take any advice on where to live. Would like a condo in a low rise block somewhere nice with good facilities etc.
Might be making a rece trip soon so if i / we do i will get in touch and pick your brains over a beer.

Any advice on what documentation to take with us, always useful to know when applying for local permits etc.

Take care

CL