House sitting in Bali

Hi there

I am interested in moving to Bali. I would love to get a taste of it before I commit. Are there ever any house sitting opportunities?

Many thanks

J

You and a few million others. :D

Your chances are limited and, if you want to be legal, it's working so you'd need a work permit to do it.
The real world suggests you'd get away without all that messing around just by saying you were a house guest, but there's a long queue of people trying for this so your chances are slim.

Moving to Bali for what? To retire? Work? Start a business?

Why don't you just spend a holiday there? Apply for a 60 day tourist visa in your home country or (alternatively get the 30 day US$35 VOA before passing through immigration as it can be extended by another 30 days whereas the normal free VOA cannot be extended) and go spend some time staying in inexpensive losmen type places around the island.

As far as moving to Bali goes it isn't all that easy unless you are of retirement age or coming to work legally. Back in the 1990's I moved to Bali with my family, my wife and four children and we lived in a place called Sanur. In those days it was much easier, to do, of course using an Agent and paying their fee. I think I paid around Rp8 million for the equivalent of today's KITAS.

Please note though, that working illegally in Indonesia and getting caught means that you would be immediately deported and banned from entering the country for a number of years.