Getting tax refund after 182 days

Hello everyone,

I can now file for tax refund for the current and last years' taxes. My questions are
- What are the requirements? (Passport photocopies, etc.)
- How long does it take?
- Can I go to any LHDN branch or should I proceed to the branch where I was registered? (The branch in PUDU is opened on weekends and previously the staff told me they can process the refund, but as LHDN has so far given different statements with regards to tax filing and refund, I am not sure about this.)

Lastly, my contract ends in September and our HR told me I can process the refund and clearance at the same time in August. Is this true and if so preferable? I'm worried since I read that refund can take more than a month.

Thanks so much. :)

Any overpayment is processed when the Leaver's Tax Certificate is processed. (Ordinarily, overpayments are only processed when annual tax returns are filed in April).

You can take the Leaver's Tax Cert. to LHDN as quickly as possible and the process takes about 10 days. You will need to take your passport, as your days in Malaysia will be counted to confirm you have tax-resident status.

You could apply for the Certificate of Residence now (it confirms tax-residence status). But it might be better to just wait and do the leaving process.

Thanks Gravitas! I'm not familiar with Leaver's Certificate, is it the cert that I should get for clearance? Are there instances where the refund processed during clearance is delayed? If it's normally on time then I think I'll get the refund done during tax clearance to save for trips. :)

The Leaver's Certificate is a statement issued by the employer confirming the salary, deductions and tax paid to LHDN. Here is the form http://lampiran1.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfbo … 11_pdf.pdf

The only complication might be if you didn't file a tax return for 2017

I did last March. :) Thanks so much.