Can company cancel your work visa?

I moved here recently with a company's work visa. The company turned out to be a terrible fit, very corporate, very controlling. I found a better deal. Now the first company is threatening to take away my visa because I left. The passport says I have 3 months to be here - the visa page on my passport.

Do you guys know if the company can actually cancel my visa? My passport page still says I have three months left.

Thanks

I think no one cancels your Visa except Visa authority.  Your visa on your Passport, and it on your hand right? Then don't worry about cancelling the permit. This visa belongs to you

They can cancel the work permit, but not the visa. Say nothing to them and see what happens.

esampson42 wrote:

I moved here recently with a company's work visa. The company turned out to be a terrible fit, very corporate, very controlling. I found a better deal. Now the first company is threatening to take away my visa because I left. The passport says I have 3 months to be here - the visa page on my passport.

Do you guys know if the company can actually cancel my visa? My passport page still says I have three months left.

Thanks

IN this case, I am standing by the company side. Because they recruit you for their company and invite you to come to Vietnam also, they paid your Visa cost ( Guaranty latter), and you agreed with the benefits as well as the salary. Once you begin to VN and you have any choices, then you decided to switch to another company. So the company invested you, and they did get anything from you. So you must be fair to them too.

Contem talk wrote:
esampson42 wrote:

Thanks

IN this case, I am standing by the company side. Because they recruit you for their company and invite you to come to Vietnam also, they paid your Visa cost ( Guaranty latter), and you agreed with the benefits as well as the salary. Once you begin to VN and you have any choices, then you decided to switch to another company. So the company invested you, and they did get anything from you. So you must be fair to them too.

I think he is worried about his visa. The company cant cancel his visa.

colinoscapee wrote:
Contem talk wrote:
esampson42 wrote:

Thanks

I understood that, and I want to give general thinking of Company side what they will face when expat decided to stop after one or two months later.

Contem talk wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Contem talk wrote:

I understood that, and I want to give general thinking of Company side what they will face when expat decided to stop after one or two months later.

Not sure if you realize, but there is a 3-month probation time, which allows for this very problem.

as long as u r not stupid enough to give it to the police -its valid

Yes, A company can cancel your work visa because you choose to leave the company.
No, you can not work legally without a work visa.
Yes. You can stay in Vietnam as a tourist.
If: you have a new job. The new company should provide you with a new work visa.

Kind Regards

dereese wrote:

Yes, A company can cancel your work visa because you choose to leave the company.
No, you can not work legally without a work visa.
Yes. You can stay in Vietnam as a tourist.
If: you have a new job. The new company should provide you with a new work visa.

Kind Regards

Only immigration can cancel a visa, it's not something that a company can do. If they ask immigration to cancel that visa, a new visa would need to be issued. He doesn't say whether it was a DN visa or a work permit, so its hard to give a clear answer.

I confirm the company can cancel your visa, which the immigration will notice once it's used for immigration purpose. I did it twice on behalf of my company.

Ngan Khanh wrote:

I confirm the company can cancel your visa, which the immigration will notice once it's used for immigration purpose. I did it twice on behalf of my company.

You mean your company contacted immigration to cancel the visa, not your company cancels it.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ngan Khanh wrote:

You mean your company contacted immigration to cancel the visa, not your company cancels it.

Yes. It should be obvious that the company can request the embassy/consulate to cancel the visa.

Ngan Khanh wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Ngan Khanh wrote:

Yes. It should be obvious that the company can request the embassy/consulate to cancel the visa.

The embassy/ consulate doesnt cancel visas, you are getting confused.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ngan Khanh wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

The embassy/ consulate doesnt cancel visas, you are getting confused.

Sometimes it's better to not assume based on the so-called "experience" of someone who has never actually done something.

I had confirmations from Embassy/Consulate that the visas are no longer useable for immigration purpose. Despite how decent that visa looks in his passport, he will be sent back to where he comes from once the crosscheck with immigration said that the visa is cancelled/invalid.

I'm still at a loss as to how my embassy has anything to do with a visa issued by the Vietnamese government, interesting. Even my friend who has been doing visas in Vietnam for 15 years is at a loss by your comments.

If your statements turn out to be correct, I will stand corrected.

It seems things are done very differently in Vietnam. This from my home country's federal visa information.

Can my employer cancel my visa?
No. Only we can grant, refuse or cancel your visa.

colinoscapee wrote:

I'm still at a loss as to how my embassy has anything to do with a visa issued by the Vietnamese government, interesting. Even my friend who has been doing visas in Vietnam for 15 years is at a loss by your comments.

If your statements turn out to be correct, I will stand corrected.

It seems things are done very differently in Vietnam. This from my home country's federal visa information.

Can my employer cancel my visa?
No. Only we can grant, refuse or cancel your visa.

I think you misunderstood/confused the posts from OP and mine. Please read again. None of us said anything about your country/a foreign country can cancel a visa issued by Vietnamese goverment.

The fact that if a company sponsored for a visa related to business, they can contact the embassy/consulate informing that their sponsorship for that person is no longer valid and request the issued visa to be cancelled.

Nghan, Im quite aware of what Im saying.

Here is what you wrote:

"Yes. It should be obvious that the company can request the embassy/consulate to cancel the visa."

Consulates/embassies are foreign, not Vietnamese government offices.

You are saying the embassy of the OP, who is American, can cancel his Vietnam visa. So now our embassies in Vietnam have a right to cancel visas issued by the VN government. Is that right?

I think you are confused as to what an embassy/consulate is.

colinoscapee wrote:

Here is what you wrote:

"Yes. It should be obvious that the company can request the embassy/consulate to cancel the visa."

You are saying the embassy of the OP, who is American, can cancel his Vietnam visa. So now our embassies in Vietnam have a right to cancel visas issued by the VN government. Is that right?

Please read again, again. Reading comprehension is important.

The OP is an American moved here to Vietnam because of work's visa sponsored by his company. There is a high chance his company is an American company for being "corporate and controlling" that assisted him to get a work visa from a Vietnamese consulate/embassy in America or in the country OP had worked previously before the OP can actually come to Vietnam to work.

Therefore, I know what I said. My company had invited many foreign expats to come work for us so I do know what I said, again.

Ngan Khanh wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Here is what you wrote:

The OP is an American moved here to Vietnam because of work's visa sponsored by his company. There is a high chance his company is an American company for being "corporate and controlling" that assisted him to get a work visa from a Vietnamese consulate/embassy in America or in the country OP had worked previously before the OP can actually come to Vietnam to work.

Therefore, I know what I said. My company had invited many foreign expats to come work for us so I do know what I said, again.

Didn't you say not to assume, and you did just that.

"Sometimes it's better to not assume based on the so-called "experience" of someone who has never actually done something. "

Still comes down to the fact only immigration can cancel a visa. You can argue until you are black and blue in the face.

Embassies don't cancel visas.

got sacked 6 months ago. rented flats/ hotels, crim rec checks  etc no problem depspite spiteful turd bos trying to cancel my visa

Ngan Khanh wrote:

I don't want to be mean, but you're actually the one having a hard time expressing yourself clearly. It must be English language barrier, I've noticed this with my ex Vietnamese wife sometimes, it's as if the Vietnamese language had much more assumptions than English, so it translates very badly sometimes. I assumed myself that the OP was working for a Vietnamese company in Vietnam. Because they're controlling and too much corporate they must be American? My ex sister in law is Vietnamese, working for a big company in Saigon and I can tell you, they are very corporate. The CEO is a lady who studied for an MBA an McGill universtity in my city, Montreal, and she definitely brought North American corporate style to Vietnam. So your wording about having to contact an "embassy" is very vague because we did not even know what embassy (from what country) you were talking about, until you finally clarified what you were saying.

Sure, let say you are vietnamese and apply visa to US, embassy would inform you that your visa has been canceled while you are still in Vietnam and not yet left to US, but this case OP is already in Vietnam, and there are no Vietnamese embassy inside the country. So Embassy would not cancel visa. Imigration would in this case.

WillyBaldy wrote:
Ngan Khanh wrote:

I don't want to be mean, but you're actually the one having a hard time expressing yourself clearly. It must be English language barrier, I've noticed this with my ex Vietnamese wife sometimes, it's as if the Vietnamese language had much more assumptions than English, so it translates very badly sometimes. I assumed myself that the OP was working for a Vietnamese company in Vietnam. Because they're controlling and too much corporate they must be American? My ex sister in law is Vietnamese, working for a big company in Saigon and I can tell you, they are very corporate. The CEO is a lady who studied for an MBA an McGill universtity in my city, Montreal, and she definitely brought North American corporate style to Vietnam. So your wording about having to contact an "embassy" is very vague because we did not even know what embassy (from what country) you were talking about, until you finally clarified what you were saying.

I wasn't clear in my posts? That might be right. I didn't think that someone with their right mind and normal IQ could jump to the thought that an American embassy/consulate (or a foreign company) can cancel a Vietnamese visa. It's like saying American goverment can cancel Vietnamese law. But well, as we all can see, the possibilities are there.

I did assume we all know for a foreigner to work in Vietnam, there are 3 scenarios regarding to the work visa:
Scenario 1: They gonna work for a Vietnamese company and this company will apply for the work visa at Immigration Dept. (should I state from which country as well?). This is well-known scenario as there are hundreds topics and questions about this, so this became obvious to me that clearly the visa could be cancelled by Immigration.
Scenario 2: they work for an international company or American based company that has branch office in Vietnam. In this case, I did assume the OP worked for American based company (my bad, but there is nothing to discuss with the Scenario 1). If that American-based company decided to let their branch office in Vietnam apply for the work visa, we go back to Scenario 1.
Scenario 3: that American-based company will apply for the work visa directly in America, through Vietnamese embassy/consulate. This was the scenario I mentioned in my posts.

I didn't want to have a long post as well as what I stated in the first paragraph of this post (I am being perfectly cleared in this post). I rest my case with colinoscapee after his/her strong statement "Embassies don't cancel visa". I don't have to and don't want to enlighten him/her.

***Language barrier is a thing that everyone knows, you can be polite and listen to or you can be an arse and walk. You don't criticize to discourage someone from trying to learn and speak another language. I have met a lot of people and the people from Engish-speaking countries like U.K/U.S/Canada/Australia/New Zealand, these people usually can speak only English, they don't even care to study a second language or any foreign language at all. Many of them live in a different country for many years and not be able to complete a sentence properly in the local language. I may be stupid or un-clear because of my language barrier being a native Vietnamese but at least I am able to write a whole long post in English, a foreign language to me. Can you write a whole long post in Vietnamese, after being married to a Vietnamese and probably used to live a while in Vietnam? If not, then think twice before criticizing someone trying to express their thoughts to you in your language. It's basic courtesy!

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please no personal attacks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ngan Khanh, your words in black and white.

You are now saying that you never said it. You wrote it so you cant deny it.

colinoscapee wrote:

I never denied it. That's scenario 3 in my previous post.

it's not an american company if that helps.

Ngan Khanh wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Scenario 3 is fine, no problem. But if that visa is gained from the VN embassy in America, the American embassy in VN cannot cancel that visa. Maybe you should check by asking the US embassy here in Saigon.

As posted, the OP has stated it's not a US company.

Reason : off-Topic

The only way for you to prove you're right is show us the law where it says your company can contact the embassy and cancel your former employee's visa.***

Reason : Rude
QuidProQuo wrote:

The only way for you to prove you're right is show us the law where it says your company can contact the embassy and cancel your former employee's visa. Otherwise, quit running your mouth on here. It's starting to stink.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Bw8VV … mX_w=w2400

This is the newest case I did last month. This is the feedback from Consulate when I contacted them request to cancel a former employee's visa. This falls into the Scenario 3 (visa obtained outside destination country) so I contacted the Consulate where the application is filed. For Scenario 1 and 2, (visa obtained within destination country) my company wrote a Visa Cancellation Request and sent directly to Immigration Dept. That foreign staff come with me to Immigration Dept. to change their visa to a normal short-term tourist visa and the work visa sponsored by my company got cancelled. So in short, the company can have the work visa sponsored by them cancelled.

I didn't intend to reply you but I did anyway as I want to let you know something not nice: you're a typical American that the rest of the world dislike. Oh, and I can run my mouth anywhere I like.

Yogi would like to take this opportunity to remind contributors to this esteemed forum to refrain from the use of uncouth language and innuendo.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ngan Khanh wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Scenario 3 is fine, no problem. But if that visa is gained from the VN embassy in America, the American embassy in VN cannot cancel that visa. Maybe you should check by asking the US embassy here in Saigon.

Hi Colinoscapee,

you're the one that insert the word "American" in front of the word "Embassy/Consulate" from me.  None of my post said that American embassy can cancel Vietnamese visa. I only say Embassy/Consulate in general per my Scenario 3 (visa obtained outside destination country).

Do you truly think America is the only country has embassy and consulate so that when you hear the word "embassy" or "consulate" then you automatically think of American embassy or American consulate only?

Ngan Khanh wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Ngan Khanh wrote:

Hi Colinoscapee,

you're the one that insert the word "American" in front of the word "Embassy/Consulate" from me.  None of my post said that American embassy can cancel Vietnamese visa. I only say Embassy/Consulate in general per my Scenario 3 (visa obtained outside destination country).

Do you truly think America is the only country has embassy and consulate so that when you hear the word "embassy" or "consulate" then you automatically think of American embassy or American consulate only?

You were the one who assumed the OP was American, not me. I just continued along with your line of reasoning.

Ngan Khanh wrote:
QuidProQuo wrote:

The only way for you to prove you're right is show us the law where it says your company can contact the embassy and cancel your former employee's visa. Otherwise, quit running your mouth on here. It's starting to stink.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Bw8VV … mX_w=w2400

This is the newest case I did last month. This is the feedback from Consulate when I contacted them request to cancel a former employee's visa. This falls into the Scenario 3 (visa obtained outside destination country) so I contacted the Consulate where the application is filed. For Scenario 1 and 2, (visa obtained within destination country) my company wrote a Visa Cancellation Request and sent directly to Immigration Dept. That foreign staff come with me to Immigration Dept. to change their visa to a normal short-term tourist visa and the work visa sponsored by my company got cancelled. So in short, the company can have the work visa sponsored by them cancelled.

I didn't intend to reply you but I did anyway as I want to let you know something not nice: you're a typical American that the rest of the world dislike. Oh, and I can run my mouth anywhere I like.

Your example is very unclear, as per the rest of your posts.

Are you saying that the German embassy here in Vietnam cancelled the Vietnamese issued visa of a German citizen. Or are they going to contact the immigration in Saigon and request the cancellation. Two totally different scenarios.

I see now you have changed the tone of your post. Now you are saying that you went to the immigration office to get the cancellation and a new visa.....Hello, that's what I've been saying for the last two weeks and you keep saying the embassy cancels visas, troi oi.

colinoscapee wrote:

I see now you have changed the tone of your post. Now you are saying that you went to the immigration office to get the cancellation and a new visa.....Hello, that's what I've been saying for the last two weeks and you keep saying the embassy cancels visas, troi oi.

The moral of the story is that there's some fights not worth fighting and that a cold beer can fix everything.  :D

colinoscapee wrote:

Your example is very unclear, as per the rest of your posts.

Are you saying that the German embassy here in Vietnam cancelled the Vietnamese issued visa of a German citizen. Or are they going to contact the immigration in Saigon and request the cancellation. Two totally different scenarios.

It is just to prove my point of Scenario 3 that a company can contact consulate/embassy to cancel visa sponsored by the company. So embassies/consulates do cancel visas as you can see the feedback from consulate. Like my 2nd post stated.

For the past weeks, you have been trying to add extra words from your head into my posts such as: "American", "Vietnamese".

For reminder, my 2nd post was: "Yes. It should be obvious that the company can request the embassy/consulate to cancel the visa". Then you dragged me into this stupid fight by adding "American" in front of "embassy/consulate" and "Vietnamese" in front of the word "visa". You stuff words into my mouth and then claimed I'm totally wrong.

but they cant

smply

Nghan

It seems you have troublè understanding what you have been writing.

So instead of admitting you were wrong, you say that I twisted things and added words to confuse you. Admitting a mistake is something you may want to learn.

Anyway Nghan, I will leave this conversatiin as you are going around in circles. Next time I employ a Vietnamese in Australia, I will remember if I have any problems I can get the VN embassy to cancel his/ her Australian visa.

Wait, didn't the OPs state his visa was canceled by the Vietnamese govt ? Your letter came from the German Consulate.