Seeking any information about living in/around Cancun

Hello everyone. My wife and I live in Texas, but are wishing to retire in the next few years. I am originally from Germany, and my wife is a native Texan. Been to Cancun a few times and absolutely love it, but visiting is of course different than living there.

We are new here and are seeking any information about living in/around Cancun. We would be interested in establishing some informal connections to the expat community.

You should take the bus about 75 minutes south of Cancun and check out Playa del Carmen and then another 75 minutes south of there and see Tulum.  I havent been to Cancun except at the airport but everyone talks about how dangerous it is.  Playa del Carmen is where you catch the ferry to Cozamel.

I am from Canada living in the Yucatan. I have lived in Quintana Roo and now live in Merida area. You will find many expats here in both areas. Most however are in Riviera Maya (QR)
You should also check out Merida area as QR is very touristy and expensive. Merida is a beautiful city close to the beaches that is full of history & culture with many things to see and do. If you are into the arts, architecture, gastronomy with less tourists you will enjoy it. The downtown is simply beautiful to walk around and explore.
It is a much more laid back peaceful area.

In fact most of our clients we deal with have been and done Riviera Maya and they prefer to retire in Yucatan state (Merida area) for many reasons

Merida is more economical than Riviera Maya area  for sure but hot due to being inland.  Lots of nice housing  in Cancun and Play del Carmen if you can afford it.  $600-800 month  for long term rentals. I lived in Playa and its more walkable and has a small town feel compared to Cancun.