Non-EU citizen married to EU citizen moving to the Netherlands

Hi,

I am a non-EU citizen married to an EU citizen. My wife has just accepted a job in the Netherlands. What visa will I need to be able to join her there? I currently do have a valid Schengen visa but I will need something that will allow me to enter the country permanently.  Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

This kind of stuff would normally be sorted out by your wife's new employer as it greatly simplifies things for her work visa to be submitted together with your visa; at this stage, my advice is to get your wife to speak to her new HR department and see where they are in the process.

Once your wife has spoken to her HR department, If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

The HR department doesn't seem to be too clued up on the procedure so they weren't of much help.  From what I can gather online is that upon entry into the country i will just need a Schengen visa (which i have) and a return ticket.  Then my wife will need to register us in the gemeente and then I will need to apply for something at an IND desk to be able to work. This application can take up to 6 months to process and could also be declined as I understand it. What I don't know is whether I will be allowed to work while I wait for this process.

Does this sound about right?  I am going to phone the Dutch consulate in Cape Town today to see if I can get a bit more clarity.

Hi and welcome back.

Apologies - I misread something you wrote in your opening post; the information I provided was not applicable to your circumstances.

Your wife (as an EU citizen with a current EU passport?) has the right to live and work anywhere in the EU; you will need to apply for a "spouse visa"; the process you have to go through is described on the IND website; this link will take you there; at the bottom of that page is a step by step process that you need to follow.

You may have to go through the MVV process (basically Dutch Integration); I say "may" because some people are exempt - those people are described in the link I've given you.

As for work; you will need a BSN number to enable you to work and open a bank account; this will be issued when you register at the Town Hall (Gemeente) on arrival, which you should do within 5 days of arrival in Holland.  Once you have the BSN, your employer can take you on.  BSN can take up to a couple of days to be issued, but I've known people to walk out of the Gemeentehuis with it in their pocket; depends where you live and how busy they are.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Every case could be different.
Mine was called 're-unification with partner '.
In my situation, on our initial visit, we found little help, as one needs to know where to look.
Fortunately we found the gratis 'rechtshulp' in Amsterdam.

I needed to return to South Africa when my 90-day sojourn on the Schengen visa was up.               
  There I needed to re-apply for my Unabridged Birth Certificate & Unabridged Marraige Certificate, as these were 6 years old from a previous unsuccessful attempt,and Gemeente Haarlem only accepted new certificates ( younger than 1 year). Apparantly it's different in other 'gemeentes '.
In the meantime my Dutch wife used 'rechtshulp 'in Amsterdam to correctly fill in the application form for the 5-year MVV ( it entitles the holder to reside with the spouse for 5 years) and lodge them at IND.

These new certificates then needed to taken to DIRCO in Pretoria for the Apostile stamp.
These needed to be sent by courier to my wife in The Netherlands, and couriered back to me for submission to the embassy.
Next I needed to wait for many weeks for an appointment at the Dutch Embassy.(Pretoria in my case). 

At the appointment I handed in my apostiled certificates & my SA passport.
Three days later I could collect my passport with the required stamp affixed there-in,  & book a 1-way ticket to Amsterdam.

On arrival I needed to wait weeks for an appointment at IND. Once there it took twenty minutes and all paperwork was accepted.
Next it took weeks again to get an appointment at Gemeente Haarlem, which resulted in me being issued with their BSN number and also essential, to take out the compulsory health insurance ( which was back-dated to the day on my arrival at Schiphol).