Looking to relocate to Mexico.

Looking for advice and suggestions or comments about relocation from NY to Mexico. Have been to the touristy places.

I'm researching it too.  Check out the Colonial Highlands section, 3-4 hours NW of Mexico City.  San Miguel, Guanajuato, and Queretaro.    Closest airports are at Leon, and Queretaro.   Guanajuato has a big university, very hilly.  Expats in all from what I read.  Unless you want coastal touristy regions.

Lake Chapala and Ajijic have many expats too but mostly retired. Not all but many.
Some cities you can get by with little Spanish while others you would want to speak it somewhat better.

Books on Amazon too about moving to Mexico.  One from International Living.  One from editor of LIveandInvestOverseas.   Both very helpful.  Discuss visas and international movers, etc.  Good info.

Apply for tourist visa before you go, is the advice I am getting from  those authors.
Check you tube for videos about the areas because they help you to actually see things and help guide you to where to look.
Good luck.

newsnerd wrote:

I'm researching it too.  Check out the Colonial Highlands section, 3-4 hours NW of Mexico City.  San Miguel, Guanajuato, and Queretaro.    Closest airports are at Leon, and Queretaro.   Guanajuato has a big university, very hilly.  Expats in all from what I read.  Unless you want coastal touristy regions.

Lake Chapala and Ajijic have many expats too but mostly retired. Not all but many.
Some cities you can get by with little Spanish while others you would want to speak it somewhat better.

Books on Amazon too about moving to Mexico.  One from International Living.  One from editor of LIveandInvestOverseas.   Both very helpful.  Discuss visas and international movers, etc.  Good info.

Apply for tourist visa before you go, is the advice I am getting from  those authors.
Check you tube for videos about the areas because they help you to actually see things and help guide you to where to look.
Good luck.

If you are flying, they will give you a little piece of paper that you fill out on the plane. That is your visa. It is usually for 180 days. When you cross the border after that time you give it up, when you come back across the border you get a new one. No reason to try to apply in advance for a tourist visa. A temporary or permanent yes, you have to do that at a Mexican console before you enter the country, but not a tourist visa.

Those books have an agenda and are often dated so don't assume what they say is always correct.

There is plenty of information on moving etc, at the top of this page and it's free.

Thanks.