Home Inspector in Rincon

Would anyone be able to recommend a home inspector in Rincon? On socia media I've read many comments from gringos stating that it's a waste of time and money to have one done in PR. Their reasons were basically that the reports aren't usually accurate due to not wanting to develop a reputation for being known as nixing deals. What are your thoughts on this?

The job of an inspector is to find all that is wrong with a house that you are interested in so you know what you are getting into. If they are not going to risk bumming a deal, then they are not worth the money. I would suggest you have a good chat with the inspector and make it clear what you expect from them. Oh and make sure they are coming prepared with ladders to go into the roof and inspect it and the drains, that is where most problems come from, those flat roofs develop cracks and leaks. They also need check the electric system, plumbing, cracks on walls, the drainage around the home and go into crawl spaces looking for cracks, termites and other problems

I just had my house in MA inspected and they found about 100 little items. Owner does not have to fix them unless you two agree unless they are safety or code issues. But you need know what you are getting into and what it will cost. Then you can plan and prioritice what gets done when, not all repairs need be done in the same year, it all depends on how it affects the house.

Thanks Rey I just feel like I'd be pulling straws out of a hat seeing I have no experience with this and would need to rely on a home inspector that comes highly recommended. I grew up with the concrete under my feet so this is a whole new venture for me.

Do not use an inspector recommended by either realtor, that is probably where the "Don't kill the deal" comes from. A recommended one is best, but one out of the yellow pages is better than one recommended by a realtor, no conflicts of interest.

Not in the island yet, sorry I cannot give you a name.

There are a number of professional associations for home inspectors.  Here's a pretty good association -- I can't vouch for any particular inspector, but this is usually an indication of some level of professionalism.

Thanks Rey and WarnerW. At least I have a better lead now.

Keep us posted on how you make out. I am not far behind you on the purchasing process in PR.  I just came from Rincon and absolutely LOVE it! I am also looking in Isabel!

No such luck so far with finding a home inspector for house in Rincon. Looks like I may be forced to forfeit having a home inspection. My realtor wants me to use hers but I won't seeing I need an unbiased inspection done.

Just noticed that there's a contractor in the area that also does home inspections.  They are NACHI certified.  Costa Brava.  Might be worth a call.

I should say that I'm interested in their construction methods, but have no experience with them.

Hi WarnerW,

I just got off the phone with Elliot from Costa Brava Construction and he will be coordinating with my realtor to do the home inspection! Wepa!!! I am so thankful to you for putting me in contact with him. Many thanks!

I'm delighted.  As I said, my interest is in their construction methods, but I have no experience working with them.  Please let us know how it goes.

I most certainly will. There is a little delay because the electricity is on but the water isn't. So we have to wait for it be turned on in order for him to do the home inspection.

We too are in the middle of a home purchase here.  Did you find this particular inspector/company helpful for your purchase?  What were the rates?

Thanks in advance!

Hey you guys and gals currently buying real estate out there, just wondering how fair the prices are? As I see prices all over the place with no rhyme or reason, brand new construction for $150k, while similar used homes for $250-$300k, than some that seem very reasonable for $100k. I know Ray mentioned last time that going more than 10% might offend people, but has anyone here tested this?

This is all for single family homes, i could understand condo pricing. Can much better deals be found just driving around, are there a lot of unlisted properties?

Still a bit way out, will probably be looking to purchase something come Jan 2019.

A lot of properties are unlisted. Drive around. Houses for rent can also be targeted by speaking with owner.

Some people have also moved to the states and you may need to speak with a relative. I canvas a street and speak with the neiborgs, sometimes they are relatives or know how to contact the owner.

We looked at quite a few homes over a 1.5 year period; pre- and post- Maria.  The prices in less desirable neighborhoods are substantially down after the storm.  Waterfront property in desirable areas is down slightly (10%?) after the storm in our crude estimate.

I'd say the biggest advantage right now is the lack of mainland buyers which allows one to find great properties at or slightly below fair market value. We felt the property we settled on was worth ~20% more than we negotiated.  One caveat to consider is there really is no database of comparable sales in PR so it is very difficult to come up with a fair market value for a particular home you like.   It's best to see lots of homes if possible in your area of interest - also speak with locals as they generally know the history of a particular home/neighborhood and can give you a ballpark on value relative to other sales in the area.

In the end it was a home we found ourselves on the classificados that we fell in love with....  Good luck.

ReyP wrote:

The job of an inspector is to find all that is wrong with a house that you are interested in so you know what you are getting into. If they are not going to risk bumming a deal, then they are not worth the money. I would suggest you have a good chat with the inspector and make it clear what you expect from them. Oh and make sure they are coming prepared with ladders to go into the roof and inspect it and the drains, that is where most problems come from, those flat roofs develop cracks and leaks. They also need check the electric system, plumbing, cracks on walls, the drainage around the home and go into crawl spaces looking for cracks, termites and other problems

I just had my house in MA inspected and they found about 100 little items. Owner does not have to fix them unless you two agree unless they are safety or code issues. But you need know what you are getting into and what it will cost. Then you can plan and prioritice what gets done when, not all repairs need be done in the same year, it all depends on how it affects the house.

UPDATE: I can NOT recommend Costa Brava. After I received the keys and my friend came with me to the house there was saw dust underneath both doors which she knew right away that termites were the culprit. So either A) my realtor was having this cleaned up without bringing it to my attention or B) home inspector was in cahoots with my realtor bcuz I found out after the fact that he happens to do many home inspections for the real estate company I worked with. Also, when I politely reached out to him to further clarify on certain points in the home inspection which in the report he states to do if there are any questions... it was crickets. Never heard from him again.

rambla wrote:
ReyP wrote:

UPDATE: I can NOT recommend Costa Brava. After I received the keys and my friend came with me to the house there was saw dust underneath both doors which she knew right away that termites were the culprit. So either A) my realtor was having this cleaned up without bringing it to my attention or B) home inspector was in cahoots with my realtor bcuz I found out after the fact that he happens to do many home inspections for the real estate company I worked with. Also, when I politely reached out to him to further clarify on certain points in the home inspection which in the report he states to do if there are any questions... it was crickets. Never heard from him again.

My point exactly, to get an inspector that is unrelated to the owner and realtor. As to termites .... What you saw could have been polilla, a different pest that also eats wood. Unfortunately one does not know how long a wooden door was sitting at the warehouse or the conditions as to how they were protected. It could be that the wood was not treated or it been sitting for years there unprotected from the bugs. Metal, preferably Aluminum is a better choice for a house, it protects better against somebody trying to break in and it does not get affected by polilla or termites. AIf you guy the house, replace the door or doors.

If you have a property with either bug problem, they need to fix the problem before you buy the property, this is assuming your purchase agreement made a house inspection a requirement for the sale.

If there are polillas or termites in the property, then they are likely to be there in other places around the house, including cabinets, furniture and closets. A certified exterminator should be used, you should hire the exterminator to come in and inspect, give you an estimate, and deduct it from the purchase price before the closing. Exterminator should come and bomb the place after the closing. Give it a few days before you attempt to move in, you want the place sealed the longest you can to ensure you got them all. Since it is your exterminator and you probably have a guarantee, you can hold him responsible to return in case there is a need.