All questions and answers about Vietnamese

Hi everyone,

I've been terribly busy so far with all the assignments in my course. Now as it seems to be easier, I am back and I want to open this topic for anyone who is learning Vietnamese and have any problems with Vietnamese (from the basic to higher levels). As I am studying linguistics, I am really interested in your questions regarding any problems or difficulties in studying Vietnamese. Please ask and i will reply to you as soon as I can.

Mandy

(I am Vietnamese, of course)

girl_like_me wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been terribly busy so far with all the assignments in my course. Now as it seems to be easier, I am back and I want to open this topic for anyone who is learning Vietnamese and have any problems with Vietnamese (from the basic to higher levels). As I am studying linguistics, I am really interested in your questions regarding any problems or difficulties in studying Vietnamese. Please ask and i will reply to you as soon as I can.

Mandy

(I am Vietnamese, of course)

Let's start the ball rolling, will it be helpful to start learning basic communication first before learning the fundamental of pronounciation of V language?  I personally thing it is important to grasp the way we read characters, if not, a lot of brain juice is required for understanding the meaning of the word and the way to pronounce it properly.

I hope to get hold of books with reference to audio vietnamese pronounciation, possible?

I personally think learning the pronunciation first is better. Some people rush into studying some basic terms first. that can be helpful immediately but if you really want to learn Vietnamese, spend one week just to study the alphabet and how to combine them into words. Once you get that basic, the rest will be easier. You can start walking along the streets and read the bill boards or posters in Vietnamese.

I haven't seen any books about teaching Vietnamese to foreigners. I want to buy one as well. But you can buy the book for grade 1 student (published by the national house publishing) and learn from that. I can help with the audio (by recording myself, haha) for every single letter in the alphabet.

Henry, you must listen to her. Shes a prospective teacher in the future....

Teacher, I will study the alphabets hard. So by the time im there, I can say some simple words to you when we meet.......

girl_like_me wrote:

I personally think learning the pronunciation first is better. Some people rush into studying some basic terms first. that can be helpful immediately but if you really want to learn Vietnamese, spend one week just to study the alphabet and how to combine them into words. Once you get that basic, the rest will be easier. You can start walking along the streets and read the bill boards or posters in Vietnamese.

I haven't seen any books about teaching Vietnamese to foreigners. I want to buy one as well. But you can buy the book for grade 1 student (published by the national house publishing) and learn from that. I can help with the audio (by recording myself, haha) for every single letter in the alphabet.

Yes, teacher................

Teacher, please help to get me 1 of those book if you happen to pass by (must have English explanation, I will pay you when we meet), as I encountered difficulties getting from some of the book stores in HCMC.  Thank you.

lostsouls wrote:

Henry, you must listen to her. Shes a prospective teacher in the future....

Teacher, I will study the alphabets hard. So by the time im there, I can say some simple words to you when we meet.......

Hi Lee, I think Mandy has great potentials in teaching.  Maybe I can discuss with her on setting up language school someday.  I can teach Hokkien & Cantonese & Mandrain :D. Jokes aside, I think I can teach business management, and you can teach IT.  How about that?

henrylamcs wrote:

Hi Lee, I think Mandy has great potentials in teaching.  Maybe I can discuss with her on setting up language school someday.  I can teach Hokkien & Cantonese & Mandarin :D. Jokes aside, I think I can teach business management, and you can teach IT.  How about that?

Mandy's really a good teacher. She took the effort to record all the Tieng Viet alphabets with her voice & send it to me. I appreciate that...

Im sorry, bro. I cant teach IT, rusty roi. but I can teach guitar, although Im self taught......:D:D

On the contrary, I hope you can teach me business management. I think it will help me when I go there.

lostsouls wrote:
henrylamcs wrote:

Hi Lee, I think Mandy has great potentials in teaching.  Maybe I can discuss with her on setting up language school someday.  I can teach Hokkien & Cantonese & Mandarin :D. Jokes aside, I think I can teach business management, and you can teach IT.  How about that?

Mandy's really a good teacher. She took the effort to record all the Tieng Viet alphabets with her voice & send it to me. I appreciate that...

Im sorry, bro. I cant teach IT, rusty roi. but I can teach guitar, although Im self taught......:D:D

On the contrary, I hope you can teach me business management. I think it will help me when I go there.

Hi Lee, it's only a walk in the park, don't worry, you won't get lost. If you are involved in the business, the more you will get the hang of it. I am curious what business you are into ?

henrylamcs wrote:

Hi Lee, it's only a walk in the park, don't worry, you won't get lost. If you are involved in the business, the more you will get the hang of it. I am curious what business you are into ?

Firearms!!!!!!!:lol::D:D

Just joking... I 'll see what I can do with my friend. He has lots of lobang there.:):)

@Henry: haha, opening a school? Let's see. Anyway what is your job in HCM city?

I don't say that I'm a good teacher. Just that I've been teaching for 2 years so I may have some experience after all? And where are you from Henry?

About the book. As I said, there must be books to learn Vietnamese for foreigners but I myself have never seen them before. I will look for it. Anyway, I found this page useful to read if you have spare time

@Lee: I'm curious. What will you actually do once you are here this September. And also, you have to be fast, I need to move on to how to combine sounds. There has been no progress so far since that alphabet recording. I really want you to be able to communicate in Vietnamese once you are here.

I damned miss my country as well. 6 more weeks left in Sydney.

here's the page

101languages.net/vietnamese/

girl_like_me wrote:

@Lee: I'm curious. What will you actually do once you are here this September. And also, you have to be fast, I need to move on to how to combine sounds. There has been no progress so far since that alphabet recording. I really want you to be able to communicate in Vietnamese once you are here.

I damned miss my country as well. 6 more weeks left in Sydney.

Currently looking for local jobs that have business in HCMC as well as foreign companies in HCMC. My friend asked me to come here 1st then look for job. I know many people do that but I'm skeptical about it. I'll see how it goes...

I'm still learning the recording you sent me. It ain't easy.......

I see, it's better giving you guidance in person rather than through chatting, right? Come to HCMC quickly :))

girl_like_me wrote:

I see, it's better giving you guidance in person rather than through chatting, right? Come to HCMC quickly :))

Absolutely. See you in September..