Dealing with loneliness in Malta

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Malta?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Malta?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

http://aiwmalta.com

I don't know about living in Malta and loneliness there, Gozo is such a small island I think it's easier to get to know people especially not in the holiday season as you tend to see the same people when you go shopping etc., which makes it easier to start a conversation.
I through an expat neighbour joined a coffee group and have made several friends, also made a friend through this site and she has introduced me to another coffee morning group. Most of the people I
know are expats although I have found the some of the locals to be friendly where we live and they like to have a chat with you.
It may be a different story if you live alone but I have never felt lonely here although I did when we lived in a small village in the UK.
Another way to get talking to other people is buying from the local mobile shops who come round daily as it's easier to strike up a conversation with other customers and the person selling the items.
A hobby is also good to have as there are many classes you can join from learning Maltese to lace making.

Never Mind Leisure Centre, Old Bakery Street, Valletta (club: crafts; outings)
(This club, I suppose, is run by Richmond Foundation)

I have been here for a month or so and working as an online copywriter, so social life shouldnt be on my priority list, but...

I've spent some weeks to travel around the island and had multiple situations when I had enjoyable and useful chats with locals. Thumbs up for the old lady, named Mary in Birzebugga who introduced a fine restaurant in Marsaxlokk. :D

About social life, I was lucky to have some friends who are already living on Malta, so as a start I could get some new connections by them, but somehow feel myself ok to be alone sometimes.

Sure its not an option for a long time, but during travelling around I was ok with the situation. Since I decided to spend more time on Malta, started to search for jobs, gyms, groups, etc. so hopefully this situation will change soon.

What I suggest to you. Feel free to use some application like Meetup, Couchsurfing to meet with new people who have the same goals like you. Just focus on your safety first, since you are a girl and meeting with unknown people could be risky. Malta is a safe place but try to take care.

If you are interested to travel around the island or just would like to chat some with a hungarian copywriter, also feel free to hook me up. I'm always opened to meet with new people.

Hope it could help you some.

Have a beautiful day.

I was looking into some language courses (Korean, Chinese) in Malta. Does anyone have any suggestions if there are any? This is the only way to surround myself with people.