Dealing with loneliness in Indonesia

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Indonesia?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Indonesia?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I recently moved back to Mumbai from Jakarta and I am missing Jakarta too much. Its very difficult to get lonely in Jakarta where you have so many fun loving people. I think expats are treated very nicely and it feels like home with the people we are surrounded with. I made some good friends in Jakarta and I will preserve those moments forever.

In case someone is feeling lonely he can start

1. Playing sports or work out at Gym(I had joined Elite Club)
2. Meet social groups at different occasions and share your feelings with them, you will be amazed with the reciprocation and how they will make you feel so lively.
3. Work on things or passions you missed earlier due to financial or time constraints.
4. Go to Bali or Gili every quarter or you can visit near by countries.
5. Cook your native food and do not stop connecting on skype hangout with your native people.
6. Learn Bahasa as soon as possible.

Also, if you get too involved please remember what you came here for:)

As with anyone moving to a new home, avoiding loneliness is easy.

Learning the local lingo is a big help as that widens your potential to make new friends

Getting out there and join clubs and associations - you'll meet lots of new people.

Say, "Hello" to the neighbours. As all new residents in any area have to report to the local RT, you have your first possible new friend the moment you move in. The RT and RW of each area know everyone so it's never a bad idea to have a chat with them where possible, and they know pretty much everything that's going on locally.

Don't look at reporting to the police as a pain you have to do, see it as a potential to meet new friends. This won't suit many but the cops are having a push to learn English, so help them out if you have free time.
A whole bunch of new friends there.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to Indonesia?
The other -- as an expat, you will often automatically be different than the majority of those around you in your new home. You'll be from a different place, speak with a different accent, participate in different customs, and look different from your new neighbors. This can initially lead to loneliness, before you discover similarities with locals.
How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?
Join organizations, clubs, groups that share your interests. You'll meet expats from all over the world, but also many locals with whom you'll already have something in common!
Is it easy to expand or create a social network in Indonesia?
I've found it exceedingly easy, especially in Jakarta. The diverse make up of the city's population readily lends itself to the promotion of all sorts of available activities. I've never found myself at a loss for what to do here. That's more than I can say for other countries I've lived in.
Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?
You can join networking focused groups like Internations or sports teams like the Jakarta Paddle Club. Both offer plenty of opportunities to meet like-minded individuals. If you'd rather meet people on a more personal level, bars, nightclubs and coffee-shops encourage one-on-one conversation.

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Never really been lonely as not the type. I believe in just getting out there and meeting people in everyday life. Of course, if you find it hard to find friends and get lonely easily I suppose you could do as the above posters do, join clubs etc. I met some friends at California Fitness Center once. I attended for toning up my muscles but met a couple of really nice women and for a few months had a lot of fun. But I think the best is always to not try, but just let it happen. I'm quite a chatty person and talk to everyone, so friends sort of come easily. If you are the shy quiet type then do as the above posters say.

The other thing is that I personally do not like shallow or acquaintance type friendships. I either really like someone or I just won't bother seeing them again. I am not into the "meet for coffee once a week" sort of thing. Of course, each to his or her own.

I am a local citizen. Used to work at some NGOs outside Jakarta, I also used to organize art communities and events. So I have to let you know that Art community or Social organizations in Jakarta are really welcome for new people. You may start from here to build your network. Don't hesitate to say hello to people once you come to an art exhibition, art performance or workshops. Mostly they are coming from various background and have good network so they are mostly outspoken persons and very communicative. I hope it may help you.

Jomarbun wrote:

I also used to organize art communities and events. So I have to let you know that Art community or Social organizations in Jakarta are really welcome for new people.

Jakarta has a lively and very friendly art scene so I must agree with this.
The art community is frankly great and will welcome interested people with open arms so you'll have a bunch of new friends in no time.

My advice is to just go out and mingle. I am not the kind of person who gets lonely because I have a family and kids and when I didn't I always had a girlfriends on the go. But for those who have a tendency to get lonely then don't go looking for friends, just go out and mingle. Mingle with the locals and mingle with foreigners.  When I am out and about I sometimes bump into foreigners and after a natter we usually introduce ourselves and exchange phone numbers and then sometimes arrange to meet up for lunch and a long natter to discuss Brexit or Trump and what we do and have done in our lives. But also half the time I can't be arsed to meet them.