Dealing with loneliness in India

Hello,

Expatriation can be a fun and exciting adventure, but it can also be a bit lonely at times. Please share with us some tips for dealing with loneliness.

What are some potential factors that lead to loneliness when moving to India?

How do you deal with feelings of loneliness?

Is it easy to expand or create a social network in India?

Are there any activities or events that encourage social meet ups and networking opportunities?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Indians are some of the most social people I know. It's hard to feel lonely when others try to include you in everything.

If you are having trouble meeting other expats, then join various organizations that cater to this. There are several groups around India that are great places to meet expats. You could try the larger and more country-focused ones, like the French Alliance-Francais, or the German equivalent. If that's not your type of thing, try looking into groups like InterNations (I'm the Bangalore Ambassador) and try to make it for one of their events. There are many.

There is also the Hash House Harriers, a group that eloquent has the slogan: "A running club with all drinking problem". It's not an athletic club, and most Hashers (like me) rather take it easy. It's a fantastic place to meet great people and greater friends. If the words "running club" make you think that this is some fitness group, think again. It's 90% social. The 10% make up everything else you can think of.

As I am nearly completely deaf, I have a different issue.  That is, I can be "lonely" anywhere on earth, because I am not an expert in any language but English, and even then, I don't do well at all in group settings of white (or any) English speakers.  Last night, my friend took his family and me to his parents' house to begin celebrations for the onset of Navarātriḥ (starts today on Oct. 10 in 2018).  They all speak Hindī, and my friend and relatives of his generation can speak English, but they are a bit hard for me to understand a lot of times.

Anyhow, I was sitting there watching them conversing in Hindī, and I realized then and there that it doesn't matter whether I am in the US or in a foreign country; I'm always going to miss out.  As a result of being deaf all my life, I've had to learn over the decades not to be bothered by the lack of connection to people at the linguistic level, and find some way to be connected at the spiritual level.  There are people who can be uncomfortable around others if they don't know the language, and then there are people who are comfortable around others even though they may not know the local language being used.  For me, it has to do with whether our mindsets are compatible with each other, regardless of languages used.

There is a difference between being "lonely" or being "alone."  One ought to learn to be good company to oneself.  Socializing becomes a "bonus" rather than a "requirement" like water, without which you will die.  I guess a question is, can you smile without feeling sad?  Can you play with your friends' toddlers?  With toddlers, expressions of emotions become far more important, since they don't yet have the means to communicate verbally, BUT you can communicate through miming and facial expressions, and teach them words they don't know, breaking down the individual sounds of words before stringing them back together.

Since you are in a very different environment, notice their social behaviors, how they sit, how they dress, how they use their hands, what the house looks like, the furniture, photos on the walls, etc.  Notice the things that are important to them.  This is the time to be observant before you reach a point where you are so busy socially that you don't notice your surroundings.