Work permit required with PRC or TRC?

Hi,

I'd like to know - as I already have a 'XNC' Visa exemption from marriage (and have kids here) thus I could probably get a TRC or PRC - why would I need to apply for a business visa and get a work permit and then a TRC?

I guess the simple question is, if I have a TRC or PRC can I work without getting a work permit?

It seems weird to me to have to leave the country and pay $100 for a three month business visa when my visa exemption is not due for restamping until November.! Why do I need to go back to the start if I want to work? Can I just get the TRC/PRC then work automatically?

Any service people who know the correct method please help...

Simply no, TRC or PRC will not give you right to work.. if you get citizenship then that does ;)

There are so many questions about why? Why? in Vietnam, but still, have no answer for those question except follow the current law.

Part of the question revolves around the definition of work I suppose. Indeed, If you set up a foreign owned business, you can get a TRC and you can work in your business. But just to work, say as an English teacher or in someones else business of any kind I do not believe the TRC entitles you to that. Good luck on a PRC. Have never heard of anyone ever getting one here on the forum. Bluenose can fill you in on all that hassle.

Vagabondone wrote:

Part of the question revolves around the definition of work I suppose. Indeed, If you set up a foreign owned business, you can get a TRC and you can work in your business. But just to work, say as an English teacher or in someones else business of any kind I do not believe the TRC entitles you to that. Good luck on a PRC. Have never heard of anyone ever getting one here on the forum. Bluenose can fill you in on all that hassle.

If foreign own business 100% then can get TRC easily, but a foreigner cannot claim any VAT invoice which addresses directly his/her name, because they must have Work permits. That is funny things going on Vietnam.

I have no clue about the VAT issue. I did not realize that was the concern. Do not know what to tell you.

Not sure why you would have to have VAT receipts in your personal name. Why not just put them in the business name?

Vagabondone wrote:

Not sure why you would have to have VAT receipts in your name. Why not just put them in the business name?

Example:  if you travelling to Vietnam for business purposes or buy something under your name. In this case airline not issue VAT invoice for your company name, or your apartment renting or hotel bils, This all need to have an evidence for the reporting taxt to Goverment.  I just make an example, there will be lots things ect

Contem talk
Today 09:15:48

"Why" in my OP is about "What" is the best way to do it as I obviously don't know the law - that's why I am asking the question!! I am not commenting on the law (or usual practices) by saying that anything is wrong or being derogatory or anything like that; e.g. I'm not saying - Why is it like this, when it should be like that. I'm simply asking which is the best method. And, as people that I have asked about this in person have advised me to basically go back to the start by trading in my visa exemption for a business visa, before getting the work permit, and then eventually getting a TRC, it seems odd to me when with the visa exemption I currently have I already qualify for a TRC.

Moreover, as I have never had a TRC I did not know whether or not it entitles me to work once, for example, I have attained one. So, basically with the helpful answers from the two others who've commented here, I now know half the answer to my question: TRC - still need Work Permit. And from that I can assume that I could go and get a TRC without bothering to go to the border for a business visa, saving myself both time and money, and then apply for a work permit as and when required.

Your comment on the other hand leaves me baffled. I don't know why you'd bother to basically comment that I should not ask why. And, more to the point, paying VAT has absolutely nothing to do with what I am querying here.

Wald0
Today 06:16:55

Thanks, that's helpful. I appreciate your feedback.

Vagabondone
Today 09:45:11

Thanks, I'll take your word for it on the PRC. And that's good to know about the business info, although I will be a mere employee, alas. But, thanks for your feedback

Rikka wrote:

I'm simply asking which is the best method. And, as people that I have asked about this in person have advised me to basically go back to the start by trading in my visa exemption for a business visa, before getting the work permit, and then eventually getting a TRC, it seems odd to me when with the visa exemption I currently have I already qualify for a TRC.

Moreover, as I have never had a TRC I did not know whether or not it entitles me to work once, for example, I have attained one.

There are two kinds of TRCs.
One is based on your Work Permit.
You get a job first, employer will get you a WP and may then sponsor your TRC (work) as well.

Then there's another TRC (spousal) which is given to those who have spouses/families in Vietnam (VN nationals). This TRC is based on TT visa or VEC (5 yr visa exemption).

If you're on a spousal TRC and want to work in VN, you need to find an employer who's willing to apply for your Work Permit.

I can't see any reason why you should go for a business visa.
You start applying for job straightaway while on VEC or on TRC spousal (if you choose to have one).

If your employer hires you with a WP, that's it.
Open a PIT acct against your WP and pay your taxes.
You can get a WP  while on VEC or on TRC (spousal),.... TRC preferred.

There is one individual who posts from the Central Highlands who insists that one may not work while holding a VEC.   He apparently was told as much by authorities in Dalat.  That is contrary to my experience in HCMC, where I held a WP and VEC concurrently. 

In choosing between a VEC and a spousal TRC, the VEC lasts more years and is nominally less expensive even allowing for renewal restamping fees but it certainly is less convenient than the TRC which is once and done for three years.  If one frequently leaves and reenters Vietnam as part of normal business, the VEC may be preferable.

As always these types of issues can be confusing and most of the time like a moving target. I let my attorney donit all. It was quite easy and everything explained quite well. I hold a TRC and it is great. Notva hassle one. Even get many discounts for things when you have it. I wish things were straight forward and easy here in regards to ones. But they are not and perhaps never will be.

Never mind, question already answered