Reliable Car Dealerships

My family and I are moving out to Kenya from the UK in a few weeks time and one of our first priorities is to get ourselves a Car. We will be living an hour north of Nakuru so ideally looking for Nakuru dealerships but if needs be will come to Nairobi to buy.

We are looking for a 7 seater, 4x4 so Land Cruiser or Discovery and don't really want to spend more than 2,000,000ksh. Can anyone recommend any dealerships who are honest and trustworthy as well as any general advice on buying cars in Kenya?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

@azina ali

Advertising of any kind is not permitted on the open forum. It is unsafe to post any contact details here too.

You can advertise your business inn the classified or business directory sections under 'handy tools' top of this page

Have you thought of shipping one from the UK?

Quite a few on the local market have been sourced from Japan, where the engines haven't really been opened up much, which can be an issue with diesels, as can a DPF. 

If you can get them, the best vehicles are the local market ones, as they are properly specced for the conditions.

I would tend to avoid LandRover products, due to their tendency for breaking down.

Toyota and Nissan products are probably the best, as spares are easier to obtain and there are more mechanics able to fix them, but due to their popularity are potentially more likely to be stolen, or parts removed (sometimes while you are sitting in traffic).  the Mitsubishi Shogun is worth considering too.

Expat vehicles, or those previously owned by the UN are a good bet, as shortcuts have generally not been made with regard to maintenance. 

There's quite a move away from big 4x4's in Kenya, due to rising fuel and insurance costs, so there may well be some bargains to be had. 

Facebook market places are quite good, as are noticeboards in shopping malls. 

Nairobi will give you the best choice.

Hi
You have to spend at least 2.5M to get a good car.
Buy only from expats, or freshly imported cars which have not been driven in Kenya yet.
I'm selling a 2011 Hilux Extra Cab (winch, bullbar, canopy, rooftop tent), which I imported into Kenya myself 2 years ago. I'm living in Switzerland.

Regards
Matty

https://www.xpatlink.info/index.php/com … em_id=7456

The car is registered in Kenya.

Hi...I hope you were sorted on your enquiry for a 4 by 4 Landcruizer...if not please contact me on ***

Best Regards,
Faith

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Waraki

For security reasons please do not post any contact details here on the open forum. Use the message system to exchange details.

Thanks.

There is a lot of family cars, but you need to find a comfortable one. I hope you already found one

Hello AbigailWilson,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Please note that you have commented on an old thread.

I invite you to go through the Nairobi forum to see more recent threads.

Cheers,

Cheryl