Survival in the Netherlands

Hello  everyone! I am Filipina married to a dutch national and we will apply for MVV once I pass my exam.  We got married here in the Philippines.
I have a few questions because it really bothers me if my husband will be able to sustain our everyday needs including groceries,house rent, school fees.
1. Is 2000 Euros  income enough for three persons.

2. Is there any Filipino here that brought their kids to the Netherlands? Where did you enroll your kids?My son has zero knowledge of dutch language. I don't want to enroll him in a private school because it will be expensive. Can you recommend a public school that use English in teaching.

3. Does the govt in the Netherlands provide orientation for foreigners and help find school, insurance,medical insurance and employment?

4. What are the requirements for Filipino that will study in the Netherlands?

5. Which city has low house rental cost?

6.I've been working in the Philippines for 16 years will this be valid?Can I bring the past employment certificate? Does it have to be lagalized?
-Previous jobs are MC Donalds 4 years ( service crew) Starbucks (barista)1 year and 6 months
-American call center (customer service rep(1 year)
-Canadian call center (technical support) ( 8 yrs)

7.I'm an undergraduate can the dutch govt credit my subjects? My son is incoming Grade VIII -will he be able to continue as grade 8?

8.WIll I be able to work?Or I still need to get a permit?

Thank you so much for your answer.

kismetnileroy wrote:

Hello  everyone! I am Filipina married to a dutch national and we will apply for MVV once I pass my exam.  We got married here in the Philippines.
I have a few questions because it really bothers me if my husband will be able to sustain our everyday needs including groceries,house rent, school fees.
1. Is 2000 Euros  income enough for three persons.

2. Is there any Filipino here that brought their kids to the Netherlands? Where did you enroll your kids?My son has zero knowledge of dutch language. I don't want to enroll him in a private school because it will be expensive. Can you recommend a public school that use English in teaching.

3. Does the govt in the Netherlands provide orientation for foreigners and help find school, insurance,medical insurance and employment?

4. What are the requirements for Filipino that will study in the Netherlands?

5. Which city has low house rental cost?

6.I've been working in the Philippines for 16 years will this be valid?Can I bring the past employment certificate? Does it have to be lagalized?
-Previous jobs are MC Donalds 4 years ( service crew) Starbucks (barista)1 year and 6 months
-American call center (customer service rep(1 year)
-Canadian call center (technical support) ( 8 yrs)

7.I'm an undergraduate can the dutch govt credit my subjects? My son is incoming Grade VIII -will he be able to continue as grade 8?

8.WIll I be able to work?Or I still need to get a permit?

Thank you so much for your answer.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your specific questions:

Salary - 2000 euro is above the national minimum wage, but below the national average.  It's liveable, but nothing special.

Education - forget private schooling, you will not be able to afford it.  State schools teach in Dutch only; there are none that teach in English.  You'll be surprised at how quickly your son picks up the language.

Orientation - as the wife of a Dutch national, you may not have to go through the MVV process which is what the Dutch government consider is the integration process; the rest of it is up to you.  When you register yourself and son at the local Town Hall (you should do this within 5 days of arrival in Holland), you'll get your BSN (it's your unique numeric identity); with this, you can register at the doctor, open a bank account.  Medical Insurance is compulsory and you and your son will normally be included on your husband's policy.  My advice is to get your husband to speak to the IND and get some advice on the best way forward for you and your son.  If your son is a minor, you may need the permission of his father to take him to Holland.

Study - depends on how old you are.  Full-time education up to the age of 18 is the law in Holland.  After that, it's up to the individual and you have to pay for it.

Education for your son - you say he's grade 8 (age 12/13?).  He will go to the local VMBO/MBO high school.

Costs - I'd recommend you take a look at the Numbeo website; this contains lots of information regarding different items; this link will take you there.

Undergraduate - assuming you are currently entered onto a university course, I'd recommend you speak to your current university and see what advice they can offer regarding transferring your course to a Dutch equivalent.

Work - once you have the appropriate family visa, you can work and live in Holland.  There are plenty of Filipino forum members with who you can connect and probably let you know how and what they did in your position.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us; please don't publish personal information on the open Forum; it's much safer for all if you communicate via the direct message system.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Amended to reflect revised information.

Thank you so much for the wonderful insights.
I have another question I have a child from my previous relationship and he is using the last name and acknowledge by his father at birth but abandoned him from 5 years old until now. Do I still need to get his consent to bring my child to the Netherlands?
For the education do they have like a laderized education system because I'm 34 years and I want to have a bachelors degree.

Hi and welcome back.

It is Philippines law that will decide what you need to do to emigrate with your son;  I suspect that your ex-husband's consent will be part of it.  My advice is to go and speak to a local lawyer.

With regards to your education, there is further education available, but you'll have to either find a sponsor or pay for the course yourself.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks is there a filipino community here maybe they have the same situation