Importing motorcycle from Cambodia?

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forum and around the internet, but I'm finding lots of conflicting answers.  Some people say "Older than 5 years prohibited", some say "Import tax is expensive", some say "Not worth it"...but I'm literally an hour across the border and can ride over with papers in hand.

Anyway, I'd like to bring a scooter into Vietnam, it's a 14' Vespa 125.  It's already imported it from Japan and it's currently in Cambodia, so I can ride it across the border.  It is my wife's (Vietnamese national) scooter, and we have already paid the Cambodian import tax on it, have sales receipt and such in her name, so proving ownership isn't difficult.  Can also get it translated into Vietnamese.  I also have the import agent I used to get it from Japan to Cambodia to verify it isn't stolen.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken their scooter over the Cambodian border to import?  I've taken my car across the border before, but only with a temporary licence placard.  Same with other bikes, but this time I'm looking to permanently import. 

If anyone's gone this route before, any advice is appreciated. 

Cheers,
Positron99

Why not get your wife to ask the relevant agencies. As a local, it's much easier to do, but you will have to pay taxes on the bike. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, as bikes in Cambodia are way cheaper.

colinoscapee wrote:

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, as bikes in Cambodia are way cheaper.

Actually bikes in Cambodia are way more expensive, which is why there are Vietnamese built bikes everywhere here.  I'm riding a newish Wave 110 imported from Vietnam and saved almost $400 USD by importing it myself.

As for asking around, my wife has asked but we've received 3 different answers from 3 different "agents", so we have no idea on what the actual law is.  That's when I've tried looking online, but the story isn't any clearer.

Positron99 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, as bikes in Cambodia are way cheaper.

Actually bikes in Cambodia are way more expensive, which is why there are Vietnamese built bikes everywhere here.  I'm riding a newish Wave 110 imported from Vietnam and saved almost $400 USD by importing it myself.

As for asking around, my wife has asked but we've received 3 different answers from 3 different "agents", so we have no idea on what the actual law is.  That's when I've tried looking online, but the story isn't any clearer.

As for asking around, I meant the government agencies, not shipping agents.

Im surprised at the price of bies in Cambodia, I have looked online for secondhand bikes and they appear to be cheaper in Cambodia, hence why so many expats and locals want to import from Cambodia.

And actually it don't matter if you paid import taxes to cambodia, you still have to pay them to Vietnam. Another thing is could you reclaim them back from Cambodia??

colinoscapee wrote:

Im surprised at the price of bies in Cambodia, I have looked online for secondhand bikes and they appear to be cheaper in Cambodia, hence why so many expats and locals want to import from Cambodia.

Ah I see.  Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

As for bike prices, new bikes are much more expensive, i.e. the Super Dream was $1,700 USD were as in Vietnam I think it was $680-700, and automatics like the Air Blade are nearly $2,400 USD, vs. the $1,500-1,600 in Vietnam. 

But as for heavily used bikes here, the might be in the $200-300 USD range, but they are terrible.  Way worse than Vietnamese used bikes because often times they are bodged up poorly and often times, barely run.

Wald0 wrote:

And actually it don't matter if you paid import taxes to cambodia, you still have to pay them to Vietnam. Another thing is could you reclaim them back from Cambodia??

I didn't mean to imply I wouldn't have to pay Vietnam taxes, I was just stating I had done so if certain documentation was needed to establish ownership.

As for getting the money back, well, I'm not betting on anything.  Once Cambodian officials have your money, you'll never see it again!

Positron99 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Ah I see.  Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

As for bike prices, new bikes are much more expensive, i.e. the Super Dream was $1,700 USD were as in Vietnam I think it was $680-700, and automatics like the Air Blade are nearly $2,400 USD, vs. the $1,500-1,600 in Vietnam. 

But as for heavily used bikes here, the might be in the $200-300 USD range, but they are terrible.  Way worse than Vietnamese used bikes because often times they are bodged up poorly and often times, barely run.

Can you let me know where you can buy an Air Blade for 1500, I will buy a couple. Cheapest I can find  for a new 2018 model is around 1950.

Would have thought the taxes would make it cheaper to buy in Vietnam rather than kmport

colinoscapee wrote:

Can you let me know where you can buy an Air Blade for 1500, I will buy a couple. Cheapest I can find  for a new 2018 model is around 1950.

I was trying to go from memory, but the point still stands, it's $450 more for an Air Blade here.