How do I know for sure if an English job is good in China?

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all! I've recently graduated from the University of Limerick in Ireland with a BA in English and History and love the idea of teaching in China for a year, or possibly longer!

I've done tons of research but I'm struggling a bit to find a legitimately good job, or at least even knowing roughly if a job is creditable or not. I've had numerous interviews and they seem legit but then I read on reviews and forums that they're not what they say they are, hence my confusion!

I have really good qualifications and experience, such as the degree stated above, a 144 hour in-class TESOL and experience teaching both in Ireland and abroad. I feel I'd be a good fit for a company!

I guess I'm just looking for advice really, or even to talk with people that have worked or are still working in an English job in China and had a good experience!

Dean.

Dear Dean:

I've read your post on expat.com and am interested in receiving your CV as I have a number English, ESL, PE and Music teaching opportunities with our Chinese partner schools starting in late August 2018.

I'm sure being from Ireland you have some experience with Soccer (Football), Basketball and maybe even Tennis as well as teaching English and ESL.

I have just returned from China where I was doing some Teacher Training, Demo Classes as well as Marketing and Sales for our new LeYuan Dewey International school in Pingxiang which will open in September for primary and middle school students.

We are in need of a ESL/English/PE and ESL/English/Music teacher and the salary, terms and conditions of the contract are as follows:

Salary - 15,000 RMB/month

Accommodations - Provided on Campus

Meals - Provided daily in the Teachers Cafeteria

Airfare - Roundtrip from your home country to China

Visa - Working (Z) Visa and Foreign Expert Certificate (FEC) provided by the school

Contract Length - 1 Year (plus further mutual option for the Teacher/School)

Hours of Teaching - 25 hours per week, plus 5 hours of preparation time, meetings, etc.

Age of Students - Primary and Middle School

If this is of interest to you kindly advise.

Again, thank you for your kind consideration.

Regards,

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks very much for the reply, it's much appreciated! I have added you on WeChat and look forward to discuss further about the opportunity you have provided!

Dean.

Dear Dean:

Thanks for your reply.

Kindly email me your CV a.s.a.p. so I can forward to our Director of Education at Dewey College (Canada) for further review.

Thanks,

Ken

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Dean,

Straight answer to your question is "You can never be sure" but most 'schoolies' are okay although I have heard even a Uni is not above pulling a fast one.

We are looking for an native-English teacher (to teach oral English in south of Shanghai)  Your qualifications are good plus previous teaching experience is an advantage.
I'm a retired English Engineer and been in China since 2003, Married to a Shanghainese lady who just happens to own and run her own school. Established in 2006 and still going strong; where others have been and gone! Her school covers Kindergarten and Middle school and you could be teaching in one or more schools within her catchment area of south-Shanghai.
More info available if you are still looking.
Short & to the point! :-) Regards, David -> dburchy[at]hotmail.com
PS. I have tried to find on expat.com just how they recommend you make contact without actually posting an email address. Apart from "use private messaging" and no further explanation I regret I could not finds a simple 123 method how to do that and hence it's noted above.
I trust the invigilators can sort it out :)