Hello all, my name is michael. i am german( 36 years old )and staying

I am an expatriate.

I am German, and I am now living in Ukraine. I am currently in Kiev.
About me

hello all, my name is michael. i am german( 36 years old )and staying currently at friend of mine in kiev. as i was spending now almost 3 weeks in this lovely city i was wondering to get a job here. any ideas ? i do speak fluent english , french and of course german. am starting to learn russian. i do come from the it consultant area plus people management. please let me know if you have any hints where i could start looking. on the other hand if you are only up to for a beer i would love that most certainly as well.

My birthday is on 17 February
Interests

new languages, new people ..., new places
User activity

Title: Just joined

Hi Michael,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for your nice introduction.

I don't meat to disappoint you, but Kiev is very expensive and job opportunities are very scarce even for an expat with your background. About ten years age the situation was very different as the costs of living including rent were lower (both in comparison to western Europe and to what it is today) and the economy was growing. New companies with western capital were springing up (especially in Kiev) and some well known multinationals were openning their offices in the capital. The demand for native speakers from different countries was strong and as a consecuence many expats were finding employment (with good salaries and prospects for growth) However, since that time the country has gone backwards because the promise of more development never really materialized, while expats kept coming to Kiev where the costs of living reached western European levels. So now Kiev is one of the most expensive places in EASTERN Europe, with very high Real Estate prices, very few companies hiring and very many expats living in the city looking for some meant to sustain themselves. I am saying all this to underline the fact that the European flovor which Kiev and some of the other Ukrainian cities have can not mask the unreformed nature of the Ukrainian economy (from Soviet times), leading to LOTS of CORRUPTION (needing to pay bribes wherever you go and whatever you decide to do) and VERY FEW EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES. Even If you find some work it is only in Kiev that monthly incomes approach $500  with jobs in other regions paying much less.  Having said all that - enjoy your time in Kiev, just be real about your prospects of building a life in Ukraine.

Oleg Yatskar
[email protected]

hello oleg,

thank you very much for your long and detail reply .

so far i can agree with you on a lot of topics you have mentionend.

it is indeed an "expensive" city with kind of a western living standard.

coming to ask, how have you got to know kiev and what are your current aims in life.

have a brilliant day,

michael

I am from Odessa and have visited Kiev  many times  in the past, staying a few months at a time. I am currently living in US, working as a technical writter for a tech company in Florida. ONCE I ALSO CONSIDERED RELOCATING TO KIEV AND DOING THIS TYPE OF WORK THERE. (writting and whatever else, having to do with English language and translations). I was even offered a job at Kyiv Post, the country's only English language newspaper. However, the high costs of living in Ukraine killed off that idea. Now I am considering moving to Latin America with hopes of teaching English and buying some Real Estate in Ecuador or Uruguay. (as property prices and the general business climat on that continent appear to be better, I mean the ration of living costs to potential earnings for an expat with English skills like me). Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future,

Oleg

hi

Malishi wrote:

hi

Hi and welcome to the forum

As a new member could you please introduce yourself to the forum
Why did you join EB 
What do you work at and do you like your job.
Are you hoping to travel 

Once you give us a little information about yourself I am sure other members will interact with you.