Best season to move to Colombia

Hello,

Many expats choose to move to Colombia at a specific time of the year, and we invite you to share some tips about the best seasons to move to the country.

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Colombia, and why?

How do rent prices fluctuate based on the different seasons?

Is there a change in the job market depending on the seasons, such as job availability?

Are there any seasonal festivals or cultural events that would allow you to learn about the country?

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Colombia?

During which season did you move? How did it go?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I think the best season is affter february or July beacuse All could be more ship for you. I´m talking about airtickets and housing in Colombia. Also you need to check some tips before your travel to Colombia. I could recomend San Andres Island.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please refer to the topic only.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Irrelevant. Please exchange through the private messaging system.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Andres_Bogota wrote:

I could recommend San Andres Island.

Wow!  San Andrés island. 

I've been on this forum for years, yet a site search shows that hardly anybody has posted about this popular and historical part of Colombia, which is in an archipelago geographically closer to North America than the Colombian mainland is.

Desafortunadamente, a discussion right here of San Andrés might run afoul of the off-topic rule .. since this is a thread about Best Season to Move to Colombia.

Ipso facto, I have started a new thread about the island ...

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 47#4237253

Perhaps poster Andres_Bogota and some other folks would like to comment there.

cccmedia

Priscilla wrote:

What is the best season/time of the year to move to Colombia(?)...

Priscilla

The best time to visit or move to Colombia is right now.  By that I mean whenever you are reading this post.

Actually, don't do a full move until you believe you have some idea as to how the Colombia tax on worldwide income (and, in some recent years, tax on worldwide assets impacting the wealthy) might affect you. 

But do come visit.

Being close to the Equator, practically anywhere in Colombia has only slightly-varying temperatures every month year-round.  Rainy seasons may vary by location.

The Andes = cooler temperatures.  Lowland areas = too hot by half, but good for a beach weekend. :cool:

cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

Priscilla wrote:

What are the times of year to avoid for expatriation to Colombia?...

Priscilla

"Expatriation"?  Now that sounds serious. :blink:

In case you're new to the concept, you should know you can move to Colombia without changing your nationality.

In fact, if you stay here on a visa for 183 or more days out of 365, you automatically become a "tax resident" of Colombia.  To stay here legally for that long or longer, it usually takes getting a visa often based on income or Colombia property ownership.  Such a visa is typically good for three years under the recent change in immigration law.  Other visas may be based on volunteering or on study at an approved school or university.

----

Fun fact:  during election periods, Colombia closes its land borders to cars and pedestrians.  Colombia doesn't want any foreign groups coming in and messing with its elections.

Last month (May 2018) the border here near Ecuador was closed from 6 p.m. on the Thursday before Round 1 of the presidential elections until the following Monday morning.

This weekend is the final round of the presidential elections, so don't figure to cross over into Colombia from Tulcán, Ecuador, for the next few days. :dumbom:

cccmedia in Ipiales, Nariño, on the Colombia side of the Colombia-Ecuador border
     near Tulcán

The best time to move here would be any month beginning in February and ending with the September - October time frame. Why? Because Colombia essentially closes down for the whole month of December and first couple weeks of January. If you are trying to get established leading up to and during the Christmas season it could be a real stressful time. Offices closed and people pushing you off till after the Holidays. If I were doing a move, I would plan it to fall in February. Everything here moves very slow and is far more complicated than nessesary, and simple utility connections can take weeks or months and have insane complications. Once you are established, the life is relaxing for the most part, but just give yourself lots of time by starting in February.

October , November , April and May are real bad por travel.because of the rain

But it is a lame question.. If you are moving to Colombia permanently..anytime is a good time to.move.

Aa far as best weather.. end of December to end of March and mid june to mid or late September.

Also depends where you are going.. Some places are drier than others.

If you plan to avoid moving around Christmastime because of business slowdowns, that's a good idea.

But that time period is late November to January 10th .. not October to February 1st.

cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

Avoid summer for the following reasons:
1. Air fares skyrocket
2. If you are relocating a pet that must travel in cargo, most airlines do not allow them when temperatures in the airports are 85° or higher

Also, if you have received an inheritance within the past y12 months you need to carefully watch the 183 day rule for being considered a tax citizen or else it may be taxable in Colombia even if it is not taxble in the US.  Ditto if you had a higher income than normal in the past 12 months such as a deffered compensation payment, bonus, etc.

From my experiences in Colombia, the best time to come here is a soon as you can.

I hear it hasnt rained in Medellin for two whole daze.........How long can it last.....You better move fast..........