Moving to Vietnam. Can I get a 3-bd Apt for <$1K in D2

Hi,
I shall be moving to HCMC by end of this year. I have a < $1K budget, and would like to be close to International schools ( near D2?)  . I am looking for a 3 bedroom apt  so wanted to know if a <$1K budget is realistic.

Thanks !

I don't think that you will find 3 bedroom apartments in D2 for that money.
We payed about 400$ for a 35m2 1-bedroom apartment with small kitchen.
And in addition, electricity for 65$.

Here in Binh Chanh we pay about 300$ for a 75m2 3-bedroom apartment.
And in addition, electricity for 65$.

And if you don't want only eat street food, you need much money for restaurants (and bars) in D2.
So a small kitchen would be advantageous. If you cook you can save a lot of money.

I would recommend to rent a 1-bedroom apartment with small kitchen or to stay in another district.

The answer is Yes.  A bit tight but possible.

Tell me, what is the attraction and/or demand to reside in D2 that it might be difficult to get a 3 bedroom apt. for almost 23,000,000 VND per month? I'm assuming you meant $1,000 USD, simplj. Is that the case? Holy sweet mother of holy Jazzus, 23 million Dong per month for a 3 bedroom apartment in Vietnam. Just short of 300 million per annum (at that rate, about 1 month's rent short of 300 million VND). Don't get me wrong here. I've been to some super-luxurious condos, apartments, and even hotels here in HCM whose price was enough to make my eyes water, not to mention other orifices! These were owned/rented by people with real international wealth, far above a lowly serf like myself.
What conveniences does D2 offer which would make it so appealing that one would be willing to pay this much for rent, in Vietnam? An abundance of disposable cash (though I note you did say you are working within a budget)? Proximity to cultural events/sights which are out of reach of other districts? What is it, please, which would make D2 so attractive?
I'm sincere in my question.

Aidan

My guess is that children are involved.   Not many single guys need 3 bedrooms and international schools.

THIGV, good point. I did not think of the reasons simplj mentioned.

simplj, the $1,000 budget you mentioned. Is that your total budget, or for your apartment only? Okay everyone, stop laughing! There are guys I've met whose meager income would put them in that ballpark of $1,000 USD monthly, total income. Hence, I would imagine, their decision to live in SEA.
Doable? Yup, and they're proof of it.
A good time, had by all? Not really, and they're proof of it.

I've re-read your post, simplj, and notice you've put a question mark after D2. If you are flexible as to where you will reside within HCM, then certainly $1,000 USD is plenty enough to find decent housing. Please expand on your query.

Still, my curiosity regarding D2's attraction remains.

Aidan

Hi,  I realized that D2 is pricey but that is the only location where is convenient esp since my kids will need to go to the international school nearby.  When I mentioned $1K is my max budget for apt.. If there's cheaper alternative, I am all ears.

simplj wrote:

When I mentioned $1K is my max budget for apt..

Oh, I thought you have a $1K budget for the accommodation and the other cost of living  :D

:sosad:  Ya,  I wish for both.

Aidan in HCMC wrote:

the $1,000 budget you mentioned. Is that your total budget, or for your apartment only? Okay everyone, stop laughing! There are guys I've met whose meager income would put them in that ballpark of $1,000 USD monthly, total income. Hence, I would imagine, their decision to live in SEA.
Doable? Yup, and they're proof of it.
A good time, had by all? Not really, and they're proof of it.

After reading your comment, I pulled out the notebook in which husband has been keeping of our budget (no expense tracker app for him).  Every single expense was written down no matter how large or small.  Every month in the last 12 months, our total expenses have been in the ballpark of $1000, give or take 10 to 15 bucks. 

Our expenses for two people:  rent on 2-bedroom apartment, electricity, water drinking and usage, 2 cell phone plans, grocery (I cook crabs, shrimp, oyster, clams, and fish daily, with a chicken or two a month), once a week eating out (local restaurants), one dinner date a month (in more expensive restaurant -- I need a steak every now and then for iron), transportation (taxi -- we don't ride motorbike), doctor's appointment (cash) and heart meds for husband (cash), my personal grooming (skin care, hair care, etc.), and in-country travel every 2 or 3 months.

So yes, a budget of $1000 is only do-able but also enjoyable.  Our income is higher, but we don't spend it all on daily living.  We've been travelling extensively all our lives, so the bulk of our income is reserved for international trips no matter where we live.  But we're not skimping by any mean with the monthly living expense, and we've done that with approximately $1000 here in Vietnam.

What's the % of your expenses is  frm the rental?   Do you have a breakdown of the expenses?   I imagine that the biggest ticket item  should housing, followed by transportation and food?

Our rent used to be 12M in Saigon for one bedroom (studio apartment in American term), now it's 11M for 2 true bedroom and 2 full bath in Vung Tau. 

Our grocery, household staples, and eating out last month (including the dinner date we had at an overpriced and underwhelmed French bistro) was less than 6M.

Transportation is amongst the least expensive items.  We always tip and we tip well, still we've never spend close to 80K on a cab ride. 

It's too much work to calculate the percentage of each category.  Again, as I mentioned above, husband doesn't use any tool, just writes down everything and the grand total at the bottom.

Aidan in HCMC wrote:

simplj, the $1,000 budget you mentioned. Is that your total budget, or for your apartment only?

Still confused here: "my kids [2? 3?] will need to go to the international school nearby".
That's what? $3k or $4k a month for two sprogs?
3br apartment lease + utilities $1k, I think priced out of Thao Dien.
Food for 3+ (better shop at street markets), medical, household, transport, $600+
Needs more than "meager income".

Some 3 bedroom rentals in D2 on Batdongsan. Use website on chrome with translate.

Perhaps the company he is working for foot the bill
For the international school. I thought the same thing when I read it though. His post is not to clear. But I am sure he can find a 3 bed, even in D2 for $1,000 a month. Especially if he looks on his own. I had atwo bedroom for $200.

Hi,
Yes, that is correct. My company will foot the bill for the kids education.  Of course, I prefer to get a a reasonable 3-bd room apt, which is close to the the school, and market area. $200 for a 2 bedroom is very good.  Which location in D2?  Appreciate all your inputs.

I was on the east side of the highway behind what use to be the old Metro. If was a high rise apartment and not one I would have picked for myself. But I had a fiancé that was frugal and picked it out for me. But it was very comfortable. But not to worry, you can find places in your budget just fine. It has been my experience to strike out on your own and just drive around and ask everyone. In no time you will find many places. I have hired a translator to go with me also. Much cheaper for a translator than going through an agent. You will find many posting online. I would stay clear of them as the prices are pumped up

There are different areas in D2 , the most popular and most expensive is Thao Dien.This link will give you some idea of what you can get.

https://m.batdongsan.com.vn/cho-thue-ca … -cu-quan-2

From what I've seen of D2, it's more like the west than Vietnam. Why live here if you're isolated from the locals? I never could understand that.

what ever you decide you need to be realistic about transport, this is a factor you need to add on to your budget, taxi twice per day is expensive and depending on the distance can take a long time to get to work from outside D2, also it can be stressful.
Motorbike or pushbike you can do it yourself after your initial buying costs, this is probably the cheapest option(s), if you dont ride a bike you can get a lift from grab bike or similar, bus is ok but not recommended, i used the bus for a while but its quite stressful and not user friendly, so when you decide where your budget will allow you to live, just remember to factor in travelling costs and time. regards Tom Webster

Can't read or speak Vietnamese.

Can you recommend a translator, and costs please. I gather that D2 is the place to live around expats with 2 bed apartments for 2 to 300 Oz $ a month?

You won't get much for 200-300 aud.

check out what you get for 4.5 million vnd(270 aud) 35 sqmts and no furniture.

https://batdongsan.com.vn/cho-thue-can- … /3/3/-1/-1

I meant a week. Was paying 400 a week in Jomtien , near pattaya. There were cheaper ,of course, but my kids keep telling me to spend my money, they don't need me to leave them any.

Can't make head nor tail out of it. Thanks anyway.

sandgroper2 wrote:

I meant a week. Was paying 400 a week in Jomtien , near pattaya. There were cheaper ,of course, but my kids keep telling me to spend my money, they don't need me to leave them any.

Well a week is a totally different scenario. Yes you can find something that suits for 1000 AUD a month.

Now it's , where to live. Everybody has different tastes of course. I'm colin too and from Oz. cheers and thanks .

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Repeatedly posting the same link. Advertising ?
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

A bit tough, but you can give a try. 3 bed-room I believe more than $1500 in District 2 which also most foreigner expats living place.

simplj wrote:

Hi,
I shall be moving to HCMC by end of this year. I have a < $1K budget, and would like to be close to International schools ( near D2?)  . I am looking for a 3 bedroom apt  so wanted to know if a <$1K budget is realistic.

Thanks !

Move to D7 they have international school out there and the cost of leasing is a bit less expensive.