Unqualified English speaker jobs

This might be a stupid question but is it a bad idea to get an apartment in Belgium as someone who doesn't know Dutch and has no qualifications and then search for a job through work agencies?

Would job agencies have any jobs for  non qualified English speakers?

Alternatively, are there any websites where someone like me could search for English speaking jobs? Or maybe I could call some local job agencies?

I'm going to be in the same boat soon. My wife's taking a job near Antwerpen and I don't have a degree.

I speak a little Dutch but not enough to get a complex job.

I've noticed that a lot of jobs seem to want you to have a degree; the same jobs in the UK would be entry level only requiring a very basic GCSE level education.

Might be worth having a look at the international companies in the area? That what I'm doing.

This might be a long shot, but have you tried Irish Pubs? The pubs I've visited in a few countries just all seem to speak English as the main language.

My own opinion is that anybody who moves to another country without a job to go to and not speak the local language is nuts.  However, lots of people do it, so who am I to knock it.

This link lists some recruitment agencies in Belgium, I don't know how useful they will be, but I wish all people seeking to improve their lives, the best of luck.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:

My own opinion is that anybody who moves to another country without a job to go to and not speak the local language is nuts.  However, lots of people do it, so who am I to knock it.

You are kind of right there Cynic as you are rarely wrong ;) But each case is different, as I moved for love, and financially stable and own my house, the misses works. I also work from time to time. :D

Back to the opening post, you could also try restaurants and hotels and work in the kitchens as Pot Wash?