Sabah MM2H change of rules?

It takes 6 months or more to get peninsular Malaysia Mm2h right now as huge backlog.

Extending may not be the answer

"I did ask them for a letter. But they will not. My visa was terminated. And that letter was given to me. "

Given that you did not withdraw voluntarily but was "terminated" and they will not give you a letter stating why you were terminated than discussing the issue before they ask might lead to issues.

I assume that the termination was not a "Red Stamp" otherwise you would not be allowed back into Malaysia and given a Tourist Pass. That's good. No issues there.

As above, I suggest you not raise the issue of why you are applying for the Peninsula MM2H rather than the Sabah version and if asked just tell them that you no longer qualified for the Sabah version because you preferred living in the Peninsula. If they ask more, then provide details as needed.

As for the renewal, it would only be good for about a month and application processing is long. You might try visa hopping with a long period between "returns".  I'd save off any extension until you have the notification of acceptance in hand. Remember that you may have to deal with returning to home (Maldives?) to get a visa anyways to avoid the Journey Performed Fee (unless you are actually a Commonwealth citizen).

In your case you might want to consider getting a reliable Peninsula-based agent to handle everything rather than work through it yourself. Having someone dealing with issues while you are abroad could be useful.

Thank you very much.

We have the same issue. Our mm2h expired in Feb and we were told by our agent in Sabah that we wouldn't get a renewal as we don't live in Sabah. And not only that, we have to go back to Sabah to get a cancellation chop on our visa even though it has expired, otherwise we can't withdraw our fixed deposit.

Does that mean you are living somewhere else in Malaysia or just have not visited Malaysia recently?

Djub wrote:

We have the same issue. Our mm2h expired in Feb and we were told by our agent in Sabah that we wouldn't get a renewal as we don't live in Sabah. And not only that, we have to go back to Sabah to get a cancellation chop on our visa even though it has expired, otherwise we can't withdraw our fixed deposit.

We live in Penang.

Hi, wir wollen Ende des Jahres nach Sabah auswandern und suchen einen Agenten, der uns beim Visaantrag behilflich ist. Bitte schicken Sie uns eine Kontaktadresse.
Danke
Ingo

"Hi, we want to emigrate to Sabah at the end of the year and are looking for an agent who can help us with the visa application. Please send us a contact address. thank you~ Ingo"

I found a dozen or so on the MM2H.gov.my site that may be able to help

TROPIKA (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 017-8112228
E-mail                   : [email protected]
Address : Unit No.3.24, 3rd Floor, Kompleks Asia City, Jalan Asia City, Kota Kinabalu  88000 Sabah

IMPIAN SRI JAYA (MM2H) SDN.BHD.    Phone Number 1 : 08-8447813
Address: NO.K-1-8,LOT 70 ALAMESRA UTAMA PLAZA,1ST FLOOR,JALAN SULAMAN, KOTA Kinabalu  88400 Sabah

GOOD SERVICE (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 08-8223269
Address                 : No.11, 2nd Floor, 11 Jalan Haji Yakob, Kampung Air, Kota Kinabalu  88000 Sabah

AKINABALU TOUR (MM2H) SDN. BHD.    Phone Number 1 : 08-8448648
Address                 : Lot No. 2.5, 2nd Floor, Kompleks Asia City  88000 Sabah

RI PERMANENT RESIDENCE (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 08-8257461
Address                 : HCG01A Ground Floor, Block Hawaii, Waikiki Condominium, Jalan Pantai Aru  88100

LF (MM2H) SDN. BHD.    Phone Number 1 : 019-8303606
Address                 : Taman Cantek Shop, Lot 5-1, Lorong Rampai 88200 Sabah

Asia Dream MM2H Sdn Bhd    Phone Number 1 : 08-8301774
Address : Unit No.H-06-02, Block H, 6th Floor, Aeropod Commercial Square, Jalan Aeropod 88200 Sabah

RUN AGENCY (MM2H) SDN. BHD.    Phone Number 1 : 08-8720315
Address                 : Block J, Lot 1, 1st Floor, Donggongon Town  89500  Sabah

DE KK HOME (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 03-88485475
Address        : No. 2-56, Tingkat 2, Star City North, Asia City, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman  88000 Sabah|

MY LIVING HOPE (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 012-8288922
Address                 : Lot 156, 2nd Floor, Block R, Alamesra Plaza Permai, Jalan Sulaman  88450 Sabah

YU TIAN INTERNATIONAL (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 088-231790
Address                 : Tingkat 1, No. 5, Kedai Sinar, Jalan Tuaran, Batu 2 1/2 88100  Sabah

FRIENDSTAR (MM2H) TRAVEL SERVICES SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 013-8680980
Address                 : Lot 3, Block 19, Ground Floor, Bandar Baru Penampang  89500  Sabah

KARAMBUNAI RESIDENCE (MM2H) SDN. BHD.    Phone Number 1 : 08-8494388
Address                 : No.1, Nexus Drive East Karambunai, Menggatal, 88450 Sabah

BORNEO HERITAGE (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 088-262822
Address     : 1-8-W8, 8th Floor, CPS Tower, Centre Point Sabah, 1 Jalan Centre Point  88000 Sabah

WANMAJU MAJU (MM2H) SDN BHD    Phone Number 1 : 08-8211493
Address          : Shoplot 3, Tingkat 1, Blok 15, Bandar Penampang Baru 88500 Sabah

Danke

Ok, looks to be official on the rules of this program going forward:

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2023 … -programme

@VWC Yes....it looks like a really good program - especially if one is intent on retiring in Sabah. There is no salary/pension requirement stated...which is odd. Only a FD of RM200,000...is that per person?

Some have expressed concern about the property requirement/opportunity? I read this provision a sit being optional to buy property, but if one does it must be over the Sabah's > Rm600K minimum for foreign property purchases.

No age restrictions?

That's the way I'm reading this.  No income requirement, but a RM200,000 FD required. Nothing stated about dependents or ages. But the requirements on property purchase is a bit odd. Not required,  but if one wants to purchase a property a minimum price of RM600,000. I'm getting old enough and not having children in Malaysia that doesn't make sense to invest heavily in property. But suspect that the final rules have not been set yer.

In all the other MM2H programs they have optional property purchases (at least for those over 50).

One doesn't need to buy property, MM2H simply makes one eligible to purchase property. Alternatively one can rent, OR one can simply visit for one month (3 in the Peninsula) and stay in a guest house.

But they also place a floor on the minimum price of the property if you opt to buy. This varies State-by-State. Some States have a floor of RM500K and others have a minimum of RM1.5 million. I think the logic is that this assures that expats are not competing against the low-income Malaysian public for housing. Personally I think that the market would respond by building more low-end housing, but the numbers of expats are also likely so insignificant that they have little impact on availability or price.

Sarawak has a floor of RM 600,000 but only for landed property. If you buy a condo or apartment one can purchase a unit below that.

So the wording makes sense to me...you have the option to buy (or not) but IF you do you will have a minimum price of the property.

Another reporting does not say anything more about the rules.  Maybe those are the only guidelines?

https://www.edgeprop.my/content/1905128 … m2h-scheme

@VWC Reporting is the Sabah cabinet has already approved the package of changes. I think the Sabah Minister of Tourism, Mme. Lieu either just skimmed through the list and left some provisions out, or an incomplete press release provided, OR there was only one reporter at the press conference and everyone is cribbing their report.

I've contacted a few agents in Sabah and they also lack answers on several key points as the rules haven't formally been released.

The new MM2H news about Sabah came in Feb 2-3/2023, now Jul 19/2023 yet we can't find the application form on line to find out exactly what the conditions are.  We can't even find the Sabah Government official portal which is involved in this.   We will appreciate any help.

The original news release was back on February 2nd, 2023

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/20 … oved-liew/

"State Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment Datuk Christina Liew said the State Cabinet has approved the policies which govern the prerequisites for participation in the programme such as age requirement, medical certification and a fixed deposit account in Sabah.

“Among the terms and conditions of the SBH-MM2H programme are a minimum stay of 30 days a year; approved duration for an individual or family is for 5+5 years FOR STAY IN SABAH ONLY; eligibility to purchase property (apartments) at a minimum value of RM600,000 and above; certification of good conduct from the applicant's country of origin; medical check-up certificate; opening of a bank account in any local bank in Sabah with a fixed deposit of RM200,000,” she said."

A statement about having an online application portal is here:

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/20 … mme-terms/

Other relevant articles

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/read/50 … eadership/

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/21 … on-people/

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/21 … -builders/

Amazing Coincidence!

I just receivean email with the following information this afternoon.

I cannot absolutely affirm that the conditions for Sabah MM2H are out, but several agents appear to have received word that the Cabinet have approved the following.

It's a very reasonable program that will be a competitive alternative to Sarawak MM2H, which it is clearly based upon. It is a 5 year +5 year visa open to any nationality except Israel. There is only a 30 day/year minimum mandatory visit in Sabah policy.

Primary Applicant minimum age is 30 years. There is no required children enrollment requirement. [This is thus a visa that allows young singles or couples without children].

Financial requirements:

1) Proof of offshore salary, rental income, investment income, pension) of RM10K (single) or RM15K (couple/family). [Three month salary, pension slips or other supporting financial documents; if salary letter of appointment]

2) Fixed Deposit RM300,000 (individual or family)

[40% of the fixed deposit can be withdrawn on a reimbursement basis after the first year for purchase of property, medical treatment expenses, childrens tuition fees]

3) For those under 50 years of age- Compulsory purchase of property in Sabah valued at least RM600K. [ Certified true copy of Sale & Purchase Agreement required]

4) Fees and other expenses-

Visa fee = RM500/year [For Chinese Nationals there is an additional RM30 fee/year]

Processing fee- RM3000 (Principal applicant) = RM2500 (each dependant)

Mandatory Medical Insurance Policy from any Malaysian Insurer -(including dependents) @ RM2500/year

Mandatory Medical Checkup in any Malaysian Clinic [RM30-RM50 per person]

Agents fees- RM10,000 Main Applicant + RM2000/ Dependent

Documents required, Application; 4 passport photo; Resume of last ten years of employment; Letter of Good Conduct; Certified True Copy of the Passport (all pages); Marriage Certificate (if acc. by Spouse); Birth Certificate (of all dependent children), Statement of why choosing Sabah MM2H.

According to one website it is not mandatory to purchase property (except for those under 50) and one can purchase and live in property anywhere in Malaysia. In Sabah he minmum floor for purchase for MM2H holders is > RM 600,000. Other states may have higher floors. The one catch for those under 50 is thus the requirement to purchase property (as proved by a document of Sale and Purchase) prior to the submission of application. There is no requisite to have children enrolled in a local school - simply that one makes the property purchase.

Analysis: There are strong similarities to the Sarawak MM2H Program. Both have some age distinctions with Sarawak having three classes (30-40 years; 40-50 years; and 50 and above). Sabah has 30-50 and above 50 age cohorts. Sarawak further distinguishes the rates for fixed deposits between single applicants and couples. Sabah has only a single catgory regardless of conjugal relationship.  A single in Sarawak qill onlt have to show 70% of the income/pension and submit only half the Fixed Deposit that they would in Sabah.

Thus there are some benefits/deficiencies for those under 50 in the programs. If one has children attending a local school, one is freed of any property purchase requirement in Sarawak. Conversely, those without children as young as 30 may enroll in the Sabah program provided they make a property purchase, while in Sarawak that opportunity does not commence until one reaches age 40.

https://www.leisureave-mm2h.com

Thank you for your time and efforts, I mean it.  But, this is not a good news for me:  It sounds like the rules of

the Malaysia MM2H , not SABAH and not SARAWAK.  I was hoping  that SABAH would require much less monthly income.  I searched many countries and none of them asking this high!   

I am a retired person thus my pension will have a %25 deduction if I live in another country, and I will loose another %25 from the exchange rate!

Did you know Portugal is asking only $760/m?  I would move there if they had English as a second language.

Thank you again.

Proof of income: Sarawak requires RM7000/mo (single) RM 10,000/mo (couple) ;  [US$1555 or US$2222/mo]

Sabah requires RM10,000 mo (single) and RM15,000/mo (couple); [US$2222/mo. or US$3333/mo.]

Peninsular Malaysia requires RM40,000 [US$8890].

So Sabah is much closer to Sarawak.

One merely has to prove that one has that as pension/income. It does not need to be deposited directly into a Malaysian bank. Many people do establish a Malaysian account but utilise non-bank online conversion transfer companies like Wise that have bank-bank exchange rates and low fees. I used a bank-bank transfer initially and lost about 3% on the transfer due to fees...I would never do that again. I don't know how one would lose 25% on the transfer. Seems a lot.

The major "cost" (although it remains your money) is the Fixed Deposit.

Sarawak: RM150K (single); RM300K (couple) [@US$33,000 - US$66,000]

Sabah: RM 300K (single or couples) [@US$66,000]

MM2H : RM 1 million [@ US$222,000]

Again Sabah is clearly more similar to Sarawak.*

*The exorbitant financial requirements and fees for the Federal MM2H are again under review due to the drop-off in applications and visas issued. There is a possibility that revisions will be made in the next two months or so reducing some of these fees, perhaps substantially.

All allow the visa recipient to withdraw up to 40% (50% in the MM2H) of the value in compensation for expenses for certain things - health care expenses, property purchase, childrens school tuition, and in Sarawak the purchase of a car).

Portugal does have a much more afforable D7 Retirement Visa program though it is restricted to EU residents and to maintain it one must reside in Portugal 183 CONSECUTIVE days a year. I've heard it requires proof of only @$840/month (about half of the income that a single must demonstrate in Sarawak). Portugal also taxes D7 Visa holders  20% tax on Portuguese sourced income and 10% tax on foreign-sourced income [including Pension or Social Security].

https://brighttax.com/blog/retire-in-po … ar%20year.

Malaysia doesn't tax foreign-sourced income at all. So it's a matter of personal needs/taste. The Non-Habitual Resident Tax scheme is good for ten years, after which the retiree is likely a Permanant Resident. The PR is subject to the standard Portuguese progressive tax rates.

There are also affordable retirement programs in Central [Panama, Nicaragua, Belize, Costa Rica] and South America (Ecuador, Colombia], Turkey, and the Phillipines and Thailand that may be attractive for some individuals. In the Philippines English is widely spoken.

Philippines Retirement Pass https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/   -Minimum age 50.

https://nomadicfire.com/philippines-retirement-visa

Malaysia absolutely does tax foreign-sourced income remitted to Malaysia since 2022. There is a section on the LHDN tax form BE 2022 to declare such remittances. Please see these official documents:

https://www.hasil.gov.my/media/forms/up … 2022_2.pdf

https://www.hasil.gov.my/media/p0lntthw … ndment.pdf

Quoting from the Explanatory Notes:

Effective from 1 January 2022, all type of income from sources outside Malaysia received in Malaysia by a resident is subject to tax. Refer Guidelines On Tax Treatment In Relation To Income Received From Abroad (Amendment) [LHDN.AG.600-1/7/3].
Income from outside Malaysia received in Malaysia which has been taxed either with withholding tax or income tax outside Malaysia is entitled to claim a bilateral or unilateral tax credit under the provisions of sections 132 and 133 of the ITA 1967. Original documents regarding the income and tax deducted in the country of origin must be properly kept for the purpose of examination.
This item to be filled in by individual residents that received business / partnership income sources outside Malaysia received in Malaysia effective from 1 July 2022.

Page 5 of the second document details the types of income that are taxed.

It has been widely reported that a blanket exemption was granted until 2026. However, pages 20 and 24-25 of the second document make it clear that exemption is only granted to non-partnership income already taxed in the source country.